Old 27-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Bowhunter

Default Help! Goldfish are Dying in New Pond

I recently put a new pond in our back yard. It is 8' long X 5' Wide at
the longest points and 22" deep. I'm bordering Zone 5 and Zone 6. I'm
figuring it's about 450 Gallon give or take. We filled the pond about
2 1/2 weeks ago and we have not added plants yet.
We have a 750 gph pump with fountain and also a waterfall. After 2
weeks we were told we should add a few goldfish to help with
misquitoes. (we were not planning to use it for fish, just plants
originally) Anyway......after the pond had been filled for 2 weeks we
added recomended amounts of Chlorine/Chloramine Neutralizer and Some
Algae Preventor to the pond and then went to the fish store we always
deal with for our Aquarium. We never really had any problems with the
fish we bought from them and they are highly recomended. We picked up
6 fancy goldfish and I floated them for about 45 minutes along with
adding some pond water every 15 minutes before we released them into
the pond. On the 2nd day we lost 2 goldfish and one more on the 3rd
day. Of the 3 we have left it looks like another might be dying. I
checked the PH level and it was 6.5 (a little low, but I don't think
that was causing the death) The Nitrate levels were Perfect. I don't
have a chlorine tester yet but I did add the chlorine neutralizer
before adding the fish. Both chemicals that were added to the pond
said they were fish/plant safe. Someone said I should put in some pond
salt? I didn't think I needed salt for goldfish.....but could this be
my problem? Did I miss anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 28-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Andy Hill

"Bowhunter" wrote:
[...]

Even with the pond being uncycled, it seems a little early for Ammonia / Nitrite
poisoning, but I'd check 'em (especially the ammonia). How were the fish
behavior before they died?
Old 28-04-2005, 01:34 AM
RichToyBox

It could be temperature stress has caused the fish to die. If the fish have
been indoors, at around 70F, and are now outdoors in water that is probably
not yet up to 50F, the rapid change in temperature, to the cold side would
be a major stressor. For the pH to be that low, you need to check the KH
and make sure that it is up in a range that will prevent major shifts,
morning to evening of the pH. The fish have not been in the pond long
enough to have created toxic levels of ammonia or nitrItes and definitely
not long enough to have created any significant amount of nitrAtes.
--
RichToyBox

ups.com...

Old 28-04-2005, 02:06 AM
kathy

We usually recommend plants first, then fish.
Will give you something to do while you are waiting
for the temperatures to go up a bit.

kathy :-)
help the band move out of the basement!
go here
http://www.battleofthebands.com/batt...nds/theloshas/

Old 28-04-2005, 03:23 AM
Mike Patterson

Along with the other suggestions, I'd have to ask - did you fill it
then empty it at least once? Might there be some chemical residue on
that new liner/pump/waterfall? Were adhesives used in construction?

Does it get rain runoff from the yard? Maybe some pesticide or
herbicide pollution from runoff?

Mike

On 27 Apr 2005 15:48:38 -0700, "Bowhunter"
wrote:

[...]

Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 28-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Jim Humphries

We had a similar problem when we first introudced fish into our pond. It
turned out to be traces of detergent from a bucket we used. It had been (we
thought) thoroughly rinsed and flushed.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
oups.com...

Old 28-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Bowhunter

Thank you for the replies....all good suggestions. Yes I bought the
fish from an indoor tank. I asked the owner about the temp change
being a problem before I bought the fish and he said it would not be a
problem as long as you float the fish and add pond water every so
often, which I did. I did not use and adhesives when constructing the
pond and no detergents could have got in the pond. ( I filled with
garden hose that I've had for several years) Also there can't be any
runoff of rain water in the pond. The edge of the pond is raised
pretty good and the liner is draped over with at least 1 1/2 foot
overhang. Of the suggestions the only thing I did not do was fill and
empty the pond first. It was a brand new rubber liner that i just
filled so maybe that is the problem.
The fish seemed to just lay at the bottom of the pond. The first day
they were active and swimming all around. The second and 3rd day just
sitting at the bottom, not really moving around much.

Old 28-04-2005, 02:20 PM
JamesG

I guess what I would do in your situation is do a water change to
dilute any possible contaminants in the pond. As far as fish are
concerned, I have a pond that is a little smaller than yours and I put
the 10 cent feeder goldfish (regular and comets) into the pond and they
have done well. I probably have 50 in the pond. In a year there were
some that were over six inches long and there are some pretty cool
looking ones (especially for the price). I tend to think that they
would be hardier than the fancies so I would recommend adding the
fancies after the pond has been set up a while when conditions are more
stable. Let me know if you have any other questions.
James

Old 28-04-2005, 04:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 27 Apr 2005 15:48:38 -0700, "Bowhunter" wrote:

I recently put a new pond in our back yard. It is 8' long X 5' Wide at
the longest points and 22" deep. I'm bordering Zone 5 and Zone 6. I'm
figuring it's about 450 Gallon give or take. We filled the pond about
2 1/2 weeks ago and we have not added plants yet.
We have a 750 gph pump with fountain and also a waterfall. After 2
weeks we were told we should add a few goldfish to help with
misquitoes. snip for brevity

I'm with temperature and pH shock. Fancy goldfish in particular can't take
big temperature swings, and if it was more than 10F and the aquarium person
said it was still okay, I'd ask for my money back or replacement fish. Same
with pH, I bet the store pH is higher than 6.5. Use 1/4 baking soda to
increase that along with your KH and recheck to see if you need more.

Prior to the baking soda, if there are any fish still alive, catch them and
bring them inside till things warm up. I raise fancies in my lily pond and
I won't put them out till mid-June, (at the earliest) and I'm in Zone 7a
with a 1,000 gallon pond for them. (I think they could go in by the end of
May, depending on long range forecast, but I've got to let the tadpoles
grow up a bit more.)

What I wouldn't do is put comets in, if you want it to be a fancy goldfish
pond, they breed like rabbits and are hard to catch. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-04-2005, 01:52 PM

i recently introduced my goldfish into my pond. they were overwintered
in an aquarium. the pond water is between 12-14=B0C. due to the large
pump on the aquarium it's termperature was about 22-24=B0C. goldfish can
tollerate many extremes but not rapid changes. ph in the pond was about
7-7.5 (lined with limestone) and the aquarium was 6.0-6.5

i place limestone in the aquarium, bringing it's ph to 7.0 after about
a week. every few days i would add a bucket of pond water to the
aquarium when i did my water changes.

i finally put all the goldfish into 3 buckets and floated them in the
pond for 3 hours, adding 1 gallon of pond water an hour. this cooled
the water down gradually. i'm sure it would have been better if i left
them in longer but they are fine. they all lived. the temperatures have
dropped to about 9=B0C in the pond. the goldfish stay at the bottom,
presumably closer to a hibernation state. i am not feeding them. i put
the plants and some duckweed in. if they get really hungry they can
nibble on that but they aren't too active. i'm sure once the temps get
up they will be. mine are feeder comets, pretty much the hardiest kind
you can get.

Old 29-04-2005, 04:31 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 29 Apr 2005 05:52:06 -0700, " wrote:

i recently introduced my goldfish into my pond. they were overwintered
in an aquarium. the pond water is between 12-14°C. due to the large
pump on the aquarium it's termperature was about 22-24°C. goldfish can
tollerate many extremes but not rapid changes. ph in the pond was about
7-7.5 (lined with limestone) and the aquarium was 6.0-6.5

i place limestone in the aquarium, bringing it's ph to 7.0 after about
a week. every few days i would add a bucket of pond water to the
aquarium when i did my water changes.

i finally put all the goldfish into 3 buckets and floated them in the
pond for 3 hours, adding 1 gallon of pond water an hour. this cooled
the water down gradually. i'm sure it would have been better if i left
them in longer but they are fine. they all lived. the temperatures have
dropped to about 9°C in the pond. the goldfish stay at the bottom,
presumably closer to a hibernation state. i am not feeding them. i put
the plants and some duckweed in. if they get really hungry they can
nibble on that but they aren't too active. i'm sure once the temps get
up they will be. mine are feeder comets, pretty much the hardiest kind
you can get.

IMHO, let us know how they are after the temperature warms back up again.
Goldfish are very susceptible to ich with such changes. I know they are
pretty tough, but..... ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Goldfish dying John United Kingdom 10 02-08-2006 03:54 PM
Goldfish dying of heat? Emily & Craig Cagle Ponds 16 08-07-2005 03:27 AM
Help, my goldfish are dying [email protected] Ponds 3 06-03-2005 05:13 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM