Old 15-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Bullfrog

How big do they get?
I got one that lives in my preform pond. I have a 15x15 4 ft koi pond also.
But the bullfrog is in the little one. Hes been there for 4 yrs now from a
tadpole.
He is getting really big. He scares me all the time when I try to clean the
little pond.
I have 2 Shubunkins in there and a minnow. Will he eat them?
The minnow just showed up about 5 yrs ago. I kinda got attached to it and
hate for it to be frog bait.
I live in the south so theres plenty of bugs and lizards for the frog to
eat.
Priss

Old 15-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Reel McKoi

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
How big do they get?

## They can get HUGE! They were eating 6+" koi and goldfish. I saw them
eat small birds that came to drink from our ponds.

I got one that lives in my preform pond. I have a 15x15 4 ft koi pond

also.
But the bullfrog is in the little one. Hes been there for 4 yrs now from a
tadpole.
He is getting really big. He scares me all the time when I try to clean

the
little pond.
I have 2 Shubunkins in there and a minnow. Will he eat them?

## If he can catch them, he'll eat them.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Old 15-03-2005, 08:04 PM
~Roy~

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:55:01 -0500, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

===How big do they get?

BIG.......I have one that is half as big as a rabbit, or maybe evern
bigger, been here for ages (or at least I assume its the same one)
===I got one that lives in my preform pond. I have a 15x15 4 ft koi pond also.
===But the bullfrog is in the little one. Hes been there for 4 yrs now from a
===tadpole.
===He is getting really big. He scares me all the time when I try to clean the
===little pond.
===I have 2 Shubunkins in there and a minnow. Will he eat them?

Yep if it can catch them, they will be food for him.
===The minnow just showed up about 5 yrs ago. I kinda got attached to it and
===hate for it to be frog bait.
===I live in the south so theres plenty of bugs and lizards for the frog to
===eat.

They are carnivoires, so they pretty much eat anything live that they
happen to get ahold of be it birds, mice, fish other frogs, lizzards
your favorite GF or Koi.........their not too choosey.
===Priss
===

Old 15-03-2005, 09:26 PM
kathy

Unfortunately, bullfrogs can get very big.
And they are the most aquatic of all North American
frogs so while they will hunt away from the pond
(ours used to hunt mice at night under the bird
feeder) they will always head back to the pond
and there will be the fish.

Greenfrogs also get big and don't make the same
kind of dent into the fish population.
If you are not sure of exactly what your frog is,
bullfrogs have a ridge of skin that starts behind
the eye and curves around the eardrum. Greenfrog's
ridge doesn't curve and goes down the back.

kathy

Old 16-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Hal

wrote:

How big do they get?
I got one that lives in my preform pond. I have a 15x15 4 ft koi pond also.
But the bullfrog is in the little one. Hes been there for 4 yrs now from a
tadpole.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/bullfrog.htm

I think you are fortunate. I have seen one transit and introduced 4
tadpoles in the past several years, but don't see any bullfrogs on a
regular basis. I do see frog droppings occasionally and believe
some frequent my pond, but I still have too many goldfish and they
aren't eating enough.

A friend told me if I wanted them to stay around and sing in the
summer I should raise some in a cage. I may try that some day, but
I'm still a bit uncertain about their cage construction, winter
arrangements and how to keep them fed.

Regards,

Hal

Old 16-03-2005, 05:36 PM
kathy

Hmmmmm,
I've keep bullfrogs in the house from time to time.
Small ones.

There are these really neat set ups you can buy that
provide a 'pool', water fall, 'land'. Also filters the water.
I've done homemade versions of these by putting a pane
of plexiglass in the aquarium to divide it into land and pond.
Planted houseplants on the land side to provide cover.

Fed them crickets, mealworms and you could add feeder
fish in the aquarium side.You can even buy special cricket
food so the crickets are nutritiously sound. Then you might
set up a cricket habitat.... (messy but kind of fun to have
them singing in the house in the winter, even though they
are doomed :-(

kathy :-)

Old 17-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Hal

On 16 Mar 2005 09:36:08 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

Hmmmmm,
I've keep bullfrogs in the house from time to time.
Small ones.

You don't want to remain married to my wife.

There are these really neat set ups you can buy that
provide a 'pool', water fall, 'land'. Also filters the water.
I've done homemade versions of these by putting a pane
of plexiglass in the aquarium to divide it into land and pond.
Planted houseplants on the land side to provide cover.

Sounds neat.

Fed them crickets, mealworms and you could add feeder
fish in the aquarium side.You can even buy special cricket
food so the crickets are nutritiously sound. Then you might
set up a cricket habitat.... (messy but kind of fun to have
them singing in the house in the winter, even though they
are doomed :-(

I might get away with a frog outside, but no way she could sleep with
a cage of crickets inside the house. Did I mention I've grown fond
of her?

Thanks for the ideas. I may work on that as a project later, but I
saw droppings the other day and I'm hoping that last years tadpoles
might be more friendly than the frogs I've known were here in the
past, just didn't see.

Regards,

Hal

Operation: lady bullfrog Ka30P Ponds 18 14-04-2004 06:32 AM
Pond Supplies and Bullfrog Tadpoles Elizabeth of the Tudor Tarts Texas 6 01-06-2003 10:56 PM
BullFrog eggs! D. S. Ponds 8 18-05-2003 02:56 AM
bullfrog range? Mike Sullivan Ponds 1 02-05-2003 03:45 AM
bullfrog John Rutz Ponds 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM