Old 16-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Anne Lurie

Isn't 6 Koi a lot for an 800-1000 gallon pond? I thought the basic rule is
1000 gallons for the first koi and 100 gallons for each additional one?

Anne

"ebruvold" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK....

Live in San Diego. Had a pond installed last September. About a 3
foot rise waterfall into a pond of about 800-1000 gallons. Installed
by local contractor. Gave us Koi (6) and some water lillies plus
"Aquascape Designs String Algea Buster (SAB)" and "Aquascape Design
Aquaclear"

Followed all directions rigorously in respect to bacteria, cleaning,
etc. But as you may have heard, southern california had more rain than
we have had in the last 100 years. So a fair amount of run off into
the pond and outright rain. Had to pump out water on numerous
occasions and other times simply let it overflow in to landscape.

With warmer weather planted some more lilles and some marginals.
Lillies going well. I have about 10-15% surface area covered and more
pads every day. I do not have any "bottom plants" but strongly
considering adding them.

HOWEVER, I have a serious string and single cell (green water) algae
problem that is driving me to frustration.

Been spiking (triple the dose every day) my pond with both "clear"
bacteria and SAB. Hand cleaning out every day the string algae that is
easy to get out and actually pulling some off from individual rocks.

But not sure it is helping! Or at least I can not noticeably see a
difference. Is my only hope to drain the pond and start over? Should
I have patience with the product I am using? Should I try something
different (there seem to be a huge number of different concoctions out
there - any objective reviews?)

Old 16-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Reel McKoi

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
om...
Isn't 6 Koi a lot for an 800-1000 gallon pond? I thought the basic rule

is
1000 gallons for the first koi and 100 gallons for each additional one?

==================
It's enough if they're young koi and there's good filtration, partial water
changes and aeration.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
"To persevere in one's duty and

Old 17-03-2005, 04:01 AM
ebruvold

They are LITTLE koi - I think the biggest is about 5-6 inches. Haven't
really fed them much for about 2 weeks. Figured there was enough stuff
for them to munch on in the pondDid give them a bit today - they
gobbled up the food quickly.

Frustrated rookies like me. Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 11 11-01-2011 07:37 PM
Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Edible Gardening 4 11-07-2008 05:35 PM
Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Gardening 1 05-07-2008 12:41 PM
Frustrated bird Padraig Garden Photos 3 02-05-2007 08:08 PM
What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...? Lava Plays Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-05-2003 04:56 PM