Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2005, 06:56 AM
George

Default Hi all. It's been a while

Hi all. Well, I haven't been posting much for a while. It seems that there are
a some squabbles going on in this newsgroup, which is most unfortunate. I just
thought I'd throw my opinion, so I won't continue with that issue. That said, I
was checking out my pond today, pulled the netting off, and ouch, the dreaded
string algae has reared it's ugly head a little early (compared to last year,
that is). I'm already working on that problem, and expect it to be completely
gone by this time next month (I prefer the natural approach).

On another note, all of my fish have to date survived the winter. My albino
channel cat is as big as ever (I'm estimating that he weighs at least 10 pounds,
and is at least 33 inches long), the goldfish and shubukans look really good,
and my koi appear to have grown substantially over the winter months, which I
find quite astounding. I guess they managed to find something to eat, since I
have only fed the fish during rare times when the water temperature was over 55
degrees (I know, this is likely why I now have the string algae, especially
since the filter was off for a month during the deep cold this January and is
likely not efficiently filtering the water as cold as the water is right now).
Anyway, I thought I would post an update. I'd post a link to some pictures of
the "hog", but unfortunately, my digital camera bit the dust some months back.
Will try to post a link later if I manage to get some pictures.

Healthy ponds to you and yours.