Old 28-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Tom Puskar

Default Another lily question

Courtesy of a pond expansion last fall, I have a preformed liner (about 100
gallons) that I'm thinking about using as a lily pond. I can put in direct
sun and make it look nice.

The lilies didn't do well in my pond since I think they didn't get enough
sun--still won't if I put them back in the main pond.

My question is if I establish a lily pond do I need filtration? I wouldn't
put fish in it but am concerned about stagnant water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom Puskar
Howell, NJ

Old 28-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Reel McKoi

"Tom Puskar" wrote in message
Courtesy of a pond expansion last fall, I have a preformed liner (about

100
gallons) that I'm thinking about using as a lily pond. I can put in

direct
sun and make it look nice.

The lilies didn't do well in my pond since I think they didn't get enough
sun--still won't if I put them back in the main pond.

My question is if I establish a lily pond do I need filtration? I

wouldn't
put fish in it but am concerned about stagnant water.

=========================
I would think it would get stagnant with no water movement. Why not just a
small pump to keep the water moving slowly and gently?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 28-03-2005, 10:23 PM
DKat

I would at least put in some mosquito fish (or rosie reds) to keep
mosquitoes from breeding. They don't need filtration really and neither
does your lily.

Old 29-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Charles

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:01:27 -0500, "Tom Puskar"
wrote:

Courtesy of a pond expansion last fall, I have a preformed liner (about 100
gallons) that I'm thinking about using as a lily pond. I can put in direct
sun and make it look nice.

The lilies didn't do well in my pond since I think they didn't get enough
sun--still won't if I put them back in the main pond.

My question is if I establish a lily pond do I need filtration? I wouldn't
put fish in it but am concerned about stagnant water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom Puskar
Howell, NJ

I ran my pre-formed pond, 350 G., for a few years with no circulation.
Had a few goldfish in it. I finally got ashamed of the water quality
when I stirred up the muck, but things seemed to live in it okay.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 29-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Sean Dinh

Since the preform is so shallow, you don't need to worry
about stagnant water. You would need mechanical filter to
clean wind blown debris, if you want to. You could have a
few catfish too, since they live well down to 1 mg/L Oxygen
level.

Old 29-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Puskar

My question is if I establish a lily pond do I need filtration? I wouldn't
put fish in it but am concerned about stagnant water.
Still ponds work fine, as long as they are not neglected with too much left to decompose in them. Once in a while rake out surplus leaves or plant foliage when it fades, by and large ponds settle down to their own healthy routine until something upsets them, for example too many fish or invasive plants, choking them.

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
Old 29-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Tom Puskar wrote:

My question is if I establish a lily pond do I need filtration? I
wouldn't put fish in it but am concerned about stagnant water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If it's well planted - put in submerged plants as well as lilies - it'll be
fine, but you might want to put a couple of fish in there just to ensure
you don't have mosquitos. Dragonflies and frogs will likely solve that
problem, though.
--
derek
Old 29-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Tom Puskar

Thanks to all. Consensus opinion is filtration would be nice but not
needed. Since electricity would be a problem, I think I'll go without it.

Tom

Old 29-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Ann in Houston

If you don't want any fish, try dunks. Be sure to keep your lilies
trimmed. It should be easy in such a small pre-form

Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
dan2626_verizon_news

Be careful with the dunks...they also kill caterpillars and butterflies.

oups.com...

Old 02-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Hal

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:37:19 GMT, "dan2626_verizon_news"
wrote:

Be careful with the dunks...they also kill caterpillars and butterflies.

For what varieties of butterfly would that be a problem? If you make
a mud pie for butterflies you wouldn't want to get any BT in that. I
raise gulf fritillary and black swallowtails and hopefully a few
Monarch larvae this year, but I never see a butterfly watering at my
pond. They seem to prefer nectaring the lantana. I do have an
occasional moth cat with a triangle on it's face eating my parrot
feather and I don't care much for him. The goldfish can't reach him
and he just eats and disappears, unless I treat him with dunks, then
he doesn't eat much before disappearing.

Regards,

Hal

Madagascar Dwarf Water Lily = Dauben Tropical lily Roy Ponds 4 11-07-2005 12:49 AM
Another Lily question Heather Ponds 5 26-06-2004 07:04 PM
Dead lily? where to buy hardy water lily? aslng Ponds 9 18-03-2004 09:33 AM
Not a lily ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 12 10-03-2003 10:44 AM
Not a lily at all ( What to do with lily question) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 PM