Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Caversham, Berks
Question Welded pond liner?

Hi folks,

I am planning to build a circular pond and was wondering if anyone can comment on preformed 'welded' butyl liner? A few companies say they can do this and it sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. The dimensions of the pond are radius 1500mm, depth 600 with a 200mm deep shelf. One part will be slightly overhung by decking.

If I use a flat piece of liner there will be lots of folds so was wondering if the preformed liners are any good? Are there and potential problems?

An alternative I have been advised is to build the pond in concrete with bituminous coating. Someone else then commented that certain fish might not like the coating? I don't plan on havig Koi. Probably goldfish, orfe and the odd tench or ghost carp.

Thanks in advance!

Gary.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:08 PM
DKat

If you care, you really are not going to see the folds all that much if you
decide to do the liner. The size pond you are talking about (5' round X 2'
deep - shelf ~ 8" for us fools that use the kings measure) is such that you
should be able to easily find a preformed one in any place that sells pond
supplies. They work find but this is small and you should be careful not to
have too many fish and to keep your eye on water quality.

--
GaryCampbell

Old 06-04-2005, 12:00 AM
dkat

"DKat" wrote in message
If you care, you really are not going to see the folds all that much if

you
decide to do the liner. The size pond you are talking about (5' round X

2'
deep - shelf ~ 8" for us fools that use the kings measure) is such that

you
should be able to easily find a preformed one in any place that sells pond
supplies. They work fine but this is small and you should be careful not

have too many fish and to keep your eye on water quality.

Had to correct typo and add that I knew a woman that had a pond of this size
and she raised a couple of fantails and some huge comets (8-12") in it.
Her water was always crystal clear and her fish the healthiest and most
friendly I have ever seen. It was really very nice.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Happy'Cam'per

I have a colleague here at work that uses the cemented bricks with bitumin
waterproofing method and it works perfectly. Keeping in mind here in Africa
we don't have extreme seasonal weather changes, so I'm not sure if extreme
temps will affect you. He keeps Koi BTW and they're all LARGE and looking
very healthy. IMHO I think its a great method for building a pond. Good
luck.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 14-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Dragon Koi

Butyl is the best, and the preformed liners are fine for formal shapes. A
good choice for your size pond.

--
Try to beat the DragonKoi at Poker Champs...
https://secure.pokerchamps.com/poker...code=DRAGONKOI

For more information on Poker Champs go he
http://www.pokerchamps.com/
Remember to enter referer code DRAGONKOI when you join!