Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 PM
ba5416

Default Starved to death?

The ice came off the pond a week or so ago. Found several fish floating on
the surface and several on the bottom. Pond is about a 1000 ga, 4ft deep at
the deep end. Pond has been in place for 4 years now with no problems. I
leave the pump running 24/7/365, turn the fountain off and leave the
waterfall run to keep things open.
Did the water quality tests once I found the dead fish. Everything was OK.
I did a major cleanout of the pond last Aug by netting all the fish (about
40 from 5" down to 1/2", removing the plants, draining the water and sucking
up all the black ooze that was on the bottom. Replaced all the water, (we
are on a well), did water samples, replaced the fish, fed the fish until
water temps dropped below 55 and waited for winter. Is it possible that with
the cleaning there were not as much food for them to forage on over the
winter? I have had more fish die in the past couple of days. The three
original fish from the beginning are still there and getting active. I
netted a couple of the smaller ones that were born in the pond and do not
see any issues with the gills or scales. I did a basic autopsy on one of the
dead fish and the stomach was totally empty.

I am stumped with this one. Did they starve or is there something else going
on.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Reel McKoi

"ba5416" wrote in message
The ice came off the pond a week or so ago. Found several fish floating on
the surface and several on the bottom. Pond is about a 1000 ga, 4ft deep

at
the deep end. Pond has been in place for 4 years now with no problems. I
leave the pump running 24/7/365, turn the fountain off and leave the
waterfall run to keep things open.
Did the water quality tests once I found the dead fish. Everything was

OK.

$ You didn't allow the fish to find the "warm spots" at the bottom of the
pond and rest for the winter. The current and cold probably killed them.
Just about everyone in a cold climate turns the waterfalls etc off to allow
this natural rest period - and so that the water can do it's natural
conversion (cold at the top, warmer and still at the bottom.)

I did a major cleanout of the pond last Aug by netting all the fish (about
40 from 5" down to 1/2", removing the plants, draining the water and

sucking
up all the black ooze that was on the bottom. Replaced all the water, (we
are on a well), did water samples, replaced the fish, fed the fish until
water temps dropped below 55 and waited for winter. Is it possible that

with
the cleaning there were not as much food for them to forage on over the
winter?

$ They don't eat when the water gets cold.

I have had more fish die in the past couple of days. The three
original fish from the beginning are still there and getting active. I
netted a couple of the smaller ones that were born in the pond and do not
see any issues with the gills or scales. I did a basic autopsy on one of

the
dead fish and the stomach was totally empty.

I am stumped with this one. Did they starve or is there something else

going
on.

$ You have too many fish in only 1000 gallons of water. You didn't allow
them a "rest" when the water temps dropped. Having to deal with a current
when they should be "asleep" can, does and will kill them.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 06:31 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message
The ice came off the pond a week or so ago. Found several fish floating on
the surface and several on the bottom. Pond is about a 1000 ga, 4ft deep

at
the deep end. Pond has been in place for 4 years now with no problems. I
leave the pump running 24/7/365, turn the fountain off and leave the
waterfall run to keep things open.
Did the water quality tests once I found the dead fish. Everything was

OK.

$ You didn't allow the fish to find the "warm spots" at the bottom of the
pond and rest for the winter. The current and cold probably killed them.
Just about everyone in a cold climate turns the waterfalls etc off to allow
this natural rest period - and so that the water can do it's natural
conversion (cold at the top, warmer and still at the bottom.)

I see that you flunked thermodynamics. Cold water sinks. Warm water rises.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Elaine T

George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message

[...]

I see you fluked chemistry. ;-) Water is at its absolute highest
density at 4 degrees C, above freezing. Because of this, interesting
thermal stratifications can occur in cold, still water.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-04-2005, 08:21 AM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message

[...]

I was waiting for someone to bring this issue up. It was discussed at length
last fall. In an effort to see how this affects shallow garden ponds, I
conducted a little experiment, measuring the water temperature at the surface,
and comparing it with water at the bottom (45").

Starting with autumn, let's see how the pond changed into the winter. The water
at the surface started out in October at 42°F. The first frost and cold wind
lowered the surface layer and it sank, while the warm water rose and replaced it
and was chilled in turn. This circulation process continued until all the water
reached 39.2°F, at this temperature water is at its heaviest. Normally, any
cooling beyond 39.2°F does not sink, instead forms a thin layer at the surface
because of the local geothermal gradient, which will warm any water that is
below the frost line. However, with shallow ponds, the cold water can continue
to sink (especially if the pond is not dug below the frost line), and cause the
pond to continue to cool, and if this process continues, the pond can freeze
completely to the bottom. When the weather is cold enough the surface freezes
at (32°F). Freezing at the surface helps to stop the circulation, and the warm
water will stay at and below the frost line. Interestingly, when my pond
started to freeze (it only froze slightly on the very ends because I use a
de-icer), the fish didn't stay on the bottom, but hovered just below the ground
surface (my pond is 18" aboveground, and 27" below ground, so they hovered at
about 18-20" below the water surface). In other words, they stayed about a
third of the way down in the pond. Before the ice began to form, but while the
air temperature was still dropping, the water at the bottom continued to drop
until it reached a temperature of 34-35 degrees, at which time it stabilized
Which was about the same temperature as the water just below the surface (about
4 inches). It never dropped below this temperature range. When the temperature
was just above freezing, both the surface and the bottom water stayed around
34-36 degrees. The point is that unless a garden pond is dug well below the
frost line, you are not likely to see much of the stratification you normally
would see. This is why ponds that are not dug below the frost line can and do
freeze solid during a cold winter.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message
[...]

==========================
Excuse me,.... not in the winter. That's why ICE forms on top first - and
works it's way down. My ponds stay around 40 F at the bottom when the
surface is 32 and freezing. Looks like YOU flunked thermodynamics.....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Elaine T" wrote in message
om...
George wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message

[...]

==================
Thank you Elaine. When the water goes through this conversion in the fall
the fish remain almost unmoving in the still water at the pond bottom. A
current of colder water at this time is not good for them.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
Starting with autumn, let's see how the pond changed into the winter. The

water
at the surface started out in October at 42°F. The first frost and cold

wind
lowered the surface layer and it sank, while the warm water rose and

replaced it
and was chilled in turn. This circulation process continued until all the

water
reached 39.2°F, at this temperature water is at its heaviest. Normally,

any
cooling beyond 39.2°F does not sink, instead forms a thin layer at the

surface
because of the local geothermal gradient, ...........

============================
This has not been our experience. When our ponds are forming ice at the
surface (coldest place), the bottom can be anywhere from 39 to 42 degrees.
Nothing but a small surface pump (or air stone) runs to keep a hole in the
ice. There is no current to mix the water and disrupt natural
stratification or disturb the hibernating fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"ba5416" wrote in message
[...]

I guess you didn't read my response to Elaine:

I was waiting for someone to bring this issue up. It was discussed at length
last fall. In an effort to see how this affects shallow garden ponds, I
conducted a little experiment, measuring the water temperature at the surface,
and comparing it with water at the bottom (45").

Starting with autumn, let's see how the pond changed into the winter. The water
at the surface started out in October at 42°F. The first frost and cold wind
lowered the surface layer and it sank, while the warm water rose and replaced it
and was chilled in turn. This circulation process (which is typical of most
temperate bodies of water), continued until all the water reached 39.2°F, at
this temperature water is at its heaviest. Normally, any cooling beyond 39.2°F
does not sink, instead forms a thin layer at the surface because of the local
geothermal gradient, which will warm any water that is
below the frost line. However, with shallow ponds, the cold water can continue
to sink (especially if the pond is not dug below the frost line), and cause the
pond to continue to cool, and if this process continues (if the air temperature
remains below freezing for a significant period of time), the pond can freeze
completely to the bottom.

When the weather is cold enough, especially with low wind chill, the surface
freezes at (32°F). Freezing at the surface helps to stop the circulation, and
the warmer
water will stay at and below the frost line. Interestingly, when my pond
started to freeze (it only froze slightly on the very ends because I use a
de-icer), the fish didn't stay on the bottom, but hovered just below the ground
surface (my pond is 18" above ground, and 27" below ground, so they hovered at
about 18-20" below the water surface). In other words, they stayed about a
third of the way down in the pond. If it was significantly warmer at the
bottom, and warmth was of great concern to them, one would think that they would
have stayed at the bottom. This was not the case.

Before the ice began to form, but while the air temperature was still dropping,
the water at the bottom continued to drop until it reached a temperature of
34-35 degrees, at which time it stabilized. This was about the same temperature
as the water just below the surface (about 4 inches). It never dropped below
this temperature range except at the iar/water interface. When the temperature

Old 06-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

That's pretty much what George said :-) If water's densest at 39.2°F, then
(at least in water deep enough to stay liquid and have a noticeable
temperature gradient) the water should never get colder than that but could
be warmer.
--
derek

Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM
kathy

Fish health is not my area but...
- did you do anything different this year than
the previous winters?
Such as a fall clean out, the waterfall running during
the winter. That would probably be where to start looking.

One year I went into winter with a huge growth of anacharis
in the pond, so much that sometimes I could never see the fish. By
winters end it was all gone! I was sure surprised, and I assumed the
fish (a lot of koi at the time) chowed down on it sometime during that
period.

Also your fish have probably mulitplied in the time you've
had them. What may have worked for the orginal fish load
may not be working for the current fish load.

kathy :-)

Old 06-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

=====================
Whoops,.. I should have read it closer. Thanks for bringing that to my
attention. ;-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
I guess you didn't read my response to Elaine:

## Sometimes my newsreader is behind.

[...]

## Yes. I agree. That's why we try and dig them so at least one part of
the bottom is below the frost line, even here in TN.

[...]

## I was told that aside from warmth the supply of oxygen is also important
to them. But all things being equal they will rest on the bottom and expend
less energy than hovering or fighting a current, any current, all winter.
Mine stay on the bottom barely moving through the winter. In the shallow
pools they stay under the heaters.

[...]

## Gotcha! :-)

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
ba5416

I left the waterfall run like I have every year since I put it in and have
had no problems before with winter kill. When I cleaned out the pond in late
Aug/early Sept there were 45 fish. Out of the 45 perhaps 25 of them were 1"
or less, ten of them were 1.5" long, 10 of them were 2" long, the other 5
are at least 4". Out of all that the fish that have survived 4 are the
bigger ones with the exception of perhaps 3 or 4 smaller ones (1") The three
biggest ones that are left have been in the pond since the first year. One
note on the whole discussion about water temps. The filter sits up one
level from the absolute bottom. In other words it sits up about 8" from
bottom. The filter has sat here since day one also.
ups.com...

Old 06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Andy Hill

"ba5416" wrote:
[...]

Starvation doesn't seem real likely -- fish shouldn't have to eat as long as the
water is cold.

Anybody spraying nearby trees or lawn with pesticide? Poisoning tends to kill
the small fish before the big ones.

nitrogen starved? longshot Lawns 3 16-02-2005 06:55 AM
Can one prune a Forsythia to death? DKSRich United Kingdom 2 16-03-2003 11:44 AM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM
Pear Tree Death Nick Maclaren Edible Gardening 10 25-01-2003 05:52 AM
N.Cal: County pushes for collective voice on sudden oak death Lion Kuntz alt.forestry 0 24-11-2002 06:02 PM