Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 PM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

Elaine, try fantail goldfish next time. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

*sigh* I wish I liked fantails. No offense meant to fancy goldfish fans, but
double tailed fish look like mutants to me. I'm not fond of double tailed
bettas either.

However, I did what George suggested and changed half the water. Then I
started filtration over Chemi-pure since none of the usual water tests
indicated any sort of biofiltration problem. After a couple of days of my
last shubunkan staying in the water I bought two more fish (for a total of 3
shubunkans).

One jumped again, but I found him in time. Next I turned the pump way down on
Carol's suggestion. I thought that was the answer but the same fish jumped
again, and I rescued him again. Finally, now that there's been chemical
filtration for a week or so, the shubunkans are staying in the pond.

I have no idea what was in that water, but George's guess that it was
something irritating may have been right. Maybe it was a garden chemical (my
landlord has gardeners handle the yard), or something that the rain brought
down. Maybe even outgassing chemicals from new pond liner or the small
amounts of fishtank silicone and reeftank epoxy I used in the spillways. I
have no idea. Anyway, between George and Carol the current is more
appropriate, water is better, and I haven't had a jumper in a few days so I'm
very hopeful.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Silicone sealant contains acetic acid, which can be irritating to fish gills and
any other mucous membranes. I'm not certain what is in reeftank epoxy. If you
filled the barrels before the silicone or epoxy had completely cured, they could
release irritants into the water. It doesn't take a lot to be irritating. A
water change and chemical purification of the water no doubt reduced the
concentrations of whatever irritant was in the water.

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need mab Texas 5 16-04-2007 03:10 PM
Suicidal fish :( Dude Ponds 5 12-04-2005 05:53 AM
Suicidal koi on display Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 3 19-07-2003 09:12 PM
Suicidal koi survives...can it grow new scales? Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 13 17-07-2003 06:08 AM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM