Old 11-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Scott Murchison

Default Spring feeding

Hi,

Now that my pond is finally thawed, I am wondering when I start to feed my
fish and what to feed them. I only lost one 8 inch Koi over the winter and
still have about 15 fish. I live just west of Ottawa, Ontario.

Scott

p.s. My idea for an insulated, heated housing for my air pump worked
perfectly. I'll post pictures in a Yahoo photo site if anyone is interested
in how I constructed it.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 AM
RichToyBox

Wait for the water temperature to get to 50F or 10C consistently before
starting any food. Cheerios, orange quarters, or grapefruit will get them
some energy and the citrus will add vitamin C as they start coming around.
Use a wheat germ food, in small quantities until the filter catches up, and
then add more food. To know the filter is up and running, watch the ammonia
and nitrites, and as you feed, they will rise, and then as they fall, you
can increase the food.
--
RichToyBox

Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Now that my pond is finally thawed, I am wondering when I start to feed my
fish and what to feed them. I only lost one 8 inch Koi over the winter and
still have about 15 fish. I live just west of Ottawa, Ontario.

Scott

Wait till your water is 50F and no sudden down turns in the long range
forecast. Feed low protein food sparsely, let the fish get use to processed
food gradually. Takes awhile for their gut to get back into action, not to
mention your filter to handle the extra waste. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a