Old 23-04-2005, 06:06 PM
qqqq

Default Poorly Koi

Hi

One of my fish has developed a patch on its back near its dorsal fin which
is coloured green with algae.

The fish is sometimes lethargic..

I had this happen to a fish year, and treated it with Protoban, but this
seems not have worked this times.

I have photos if anyone would like to look.

Please can someone give advice

Regards

Geoff

Old 23-04-2005, 09:17 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:06:53 +0100, "qqqq" wrote:

One of my fish has developed a patch on its back near its dorsal fin which
is coloured green with algae.
The fish is sometimes lethargic..
I had this happen to a fish year, and treated it with Protoban, but this
seems not have worked this times.
I have photos if anyone would like to look.
Geoff

Try this website for a diagnosis:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/duncan.griffiths/Dtree.htm

~ jan

Old 24-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Elaine T

qqqq wrote:
Hi

One of my fish has developed a patch on its back near its dorsal fin which
is coloured green with algae.

The fish is sometimes lethargic..

I had this happen to a fish year, and treated it with Protoban, but this
seems not have worked this times.

I have photos if anyone would like to look.

Please can someone give advice

Regards

Geoff

The only thing I know of that turns green with algae is true fungus.
Prepare to get wet and enlist a friend to help. If you can, catch the
fish and have your friend gently hold it out of the water. Dab
malachite green directly onto the patch of fungus with a Q-tip or cotton
ball depending on the size of the fish. As you dab, look for signs of
injury because fungus doesn't infect healthy flesh. Keep the malachite
green off of the fish's eyes and gills. Wait a couple of seconds for
the malachite to "stick" to the fungus, and then put the fish back into
water - in a holding tank or pool if you have one. The fungus should be
greener from the malachite and fall off within a few hours. Watch the
fish, because you may have to treat every couple of days for a few
treatments. If there's an injury, that will need to heal as well - you
can put Neosporin on the injury once the fungus is gone to prevent
bacterial infection and help it heal.

Directly treating fungus this way is very effective and does not add
chemicals to the water. What I don't know is how your pond is laid out
and whether you can get the fish out and into a container or net to treat.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Poorly pond - update (longish) Smith Ponds (alternative) 0 09-07-2003 09:20 PM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
poorly Ceanothus proteus Gardening 2 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 10:32 AM