Old 25-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Mike Patterson

Default Hawk went fishing in my pond yesterday

Glanced out the window yesterday just as a red-tailed hawk landed on
my back fence.

It looked around a bit, very interested in the pond, then suddenly it
swooped down and hit the water with it's talons, apparently missed
what it was aiming for, as it's talons were empty as it overshot and
landed on one of the boulders at the water's edge.

Knowing that boulder rather intimately, I used it as a guage to
guesstimate the hawk at about 24 inches high.

After staying there for a couple of minutes, it flew away.

Don't know if it was after one of the fish, or one of the 2 bullfrogs
I have right now, but something got lucky!

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 25-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Bonnie NJ

Isn't it wonderful to be able to watch an event like this and not have to
mourn the loss of a fish! I once had
a hawk bathe in my pond - I watched in awe! Usually they take birds from
the nearby feeders :-(.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-04-2005, 05:21 PM
kathy

Wow!
Neat that you got to see that
and
didn't have anybody put on the menu ;-)

kathy
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 25-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Mike Patterson wrote:

Glanced out the window yesterday just as a red-tailed hawk landed on
my back fence.

It looked around a bit, very interested in the pond, then suddenly it
swooped down and hit the water with it's talons, apparently missed
what it was aiming for, as it's talons were empty as it overshot and
landed on one of the boulders at the water's edge.

Knowing that boulder rather intimately, I used it as a guage to
guesstimate the hawk at about 24 inches high.

After staying there for a couple of minutes, it flew away.

Don't know if it was after one of the fish, or one of the 2 bullfrogs
I have right now, but something got lucky!

More likely the frog, but they occasonally have a try for fish. They're not
good at fishing, fortunately - an Osprey wouldn't have missed!
--
derek
Old 25-04-2005, 09:43 PM
JamesG

Mike,
That sounds cool to see. I have a bunch of grown feeder goldfish in
my little pond and would gladly sacrifice a few to see a hawk swoop
down into the water. It won't happen though since my pond is in the
front entry way.

James

Old 26-04-2005, 01:23 AM
keith_nuttle

We have a Copper's Hawk that hunts our back yard. You normally think of
hawks as serious creature, however it seems like this hawk enjoys
buzzing the squirrels just to see them run for cover. I was watching
one day when he did this, and he did not even try to snag the squirrel
as he glided down to about a foot of the squirrel. Another time he
buzzed the squirrels then landed in a tree several yards away. He
waited until the squirrels calmed down and then did it again, never
extending his talons to catch the squirrel.

Old 26-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have a red tailed hawk that sits around the yard. It does go for
birds but has never gone for the fish...that we have seen. Fun to watch.

Phyllis

Old 27-04-2005, 04:40 AM
Ann in Houston

You're pretty observant. I don't think I would have noticed the
position of the feet.

Old 27-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Mike Patterson

On 26 Apr 2005 20:40:57 -0700, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

You're pretty observant. I don't think I would have noticed the
position of the feet.

Well, I was pretty interested in seeing which of my critters was about
to become sushi!

After it landed on the boulder it moved around there a couple of
minutes, obviously had nothing in "hand", so to speak.