Old 28-04-2005, 04:25 PM
CanadianCowboy

Default pond plants

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?
Old 28-04-2005, 05:14 PM
JamesG

I have been using potting soil with gravel on the top of the pot to
prevent soil from escaping. My pond is reasonably clear, I would be
curious about other better options.

Old 28-04-2005, 05:19 PM
George

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of soil
or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

You can use bentonite clay, if you can find a source (drilling supply companies
are one. Pump supply companies are another). You can also use a product called
Schultx's aquatic plant soil mix, which is actually baked fullers earth that has
been granulated. I hope this helps. Note: Bentonite will swell to up to 20
times its dry volume when it gets wet, so it is a good idea to thoroughly wet
the clay in a tub first, using small amounts until you get the volume you need.
It is very slippery when wet, so don't get it on the ground where anyone can
step on it and slip and fall. After you've made up enough to plant your plants,
mix a little aquarium gravel in with it and simply plant your plants in a
planter, and submerge the whole thing into your pond. It won't affect your
water clarity if you do it this way.

Old 28-04-2005, 05:28 PM
San Diego Joe

"CanadianCowboy" wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"

Old 28-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Charles

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:25:55 GMT, CanadianCowboy
wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I just use dirt. Put some gravel or rocks on top to keep the fish
out. It sometimes clouds the water a bit, but then settles.

what is sold for potting soil here floats, lots of perlite and wood
bark products.

I have read that the Schultz product will break pumps, if that is a
consideration.

Coarse sand should work, I have also read of people just letting the
plants loose in the water, no soil. Mine get that way if I don't
divide them often.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

Old 28-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Reel McKoi

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

=======================
A sand and gravel mix works for some pond plants.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 28-04-2005, 08:12 PM
2pods

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just
be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

........also remember to take the cat out first ;-)

Peter

Old 28-04-2005, 08:35 PM
George

"2pods" wrote in message

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

.......also remember to take the cat out first ;-)

Peter

And make sure the cat hasn't used it first. :-)

Old 28-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Elaine T

Charles wrote:

I just use dirt. Put some gravel or rocks on top to keep the fish
out. It sometimes clouds the water a bit, but then settles.

what is sold for potting soil here floats, lots of perlite and wood
bark products.

I have read that the Schultz product will break pumps, if that is a
consideration.

Break pumps how? If chunks of it get past the prefilter? Enquiring
minds with this stuff in their ponds need to know!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 28-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Elaine T

San Diego Joe wrote:
"CanadianCowboy" wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

Where do you find it? I'm in San Diego too and have yet to find cat
litter without deodorizers or antibacterials.

TIA!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 28-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Sean Dinh

kitty litter...
http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/Pix/Bog05.JPG
Same bog, 8 months later...
http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/Pix/021405Ficus.jpg

Old 28-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Sean Dinh

Walmart

Old 28-04-2005, 09:23 PM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..
San Diego Joe wrote:
"CanadianCowboy" wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

Where do you find it? I'm in San Diego too and have yet to find cat litter
without deodorizers or antibacterials.

TIA!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Pure, unadulterated cat litter is simply betonite. You can buy bentonite at any
drilling supply or pump equiptment dealer. In your case, you should have a
local, free supply of it, because bentonite occurs in the Otay Bentonite
Deposit, in San Diego County. Now all you have to do is find out where it crops
out in your area, get permission from the land owner, and have a bucket and
shovel handy. The easiest way to find bentonite in your area would be to
contact the U.S.D.A. Soil Conservation Survey, your county extension, and ask
for a free copy of the parts 1 and 2 (whichever you part of the county in which
you live) of the county soil survey, and ask them to help you locate
bentonite-rich soils on the map shown in the survey). Once you've done this,
you can do a little drving to find out where the best location is to collect
however much you need.

Old 28-04-2005, 09:23 PM
San Diego Joe

"Elaine T" wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote:
"CanadianCowboy" wrote:

Hello all,

since this is my first time introducing live plants to the pond,
I wanted to know what can be used instead of soil for plants to grow in.
I believe the soil will muck up the clarity of the pond.
I was given some plants that love to grow in water but need some kind of
soil or media to grow in.

Any suggestions ?

I use plain old cat litter. It's very cheap and doesn't float away. Just be
sure you get stuff that is just the clay, ie: not deodorizers.

Where do you find it? I'm in San Diego too and have yet to find cat
litter without deodorizers or antibacterials.

TIA!

I bought some at the local von's store in clairemont.

Old 28-04-2005, 09:25 PM
George

"Elaine T" wrote in message
Charles wrote:

I just use dirt. Put some gravel or rocks on top to keep the fish
out. It sometimes clouds the water a bit, but then settles.

what is sold for potting soil here floats, lots of perlite and wood
bark products.

I have read that the Schultz product will break pumps, if that is a
consideration.

Break pumps how? If chunks of it get past the prefilter? Enquiring minds
with this stuff in their ponds need to know!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

The particles are very small (~ 2 mm). Unless your pump is also very small, I
don't see how it is going to be a problem, especially since it is supposed to be
confined to the plant containers. My pump is a utility pump and will
practically pump sand (though obviously not for an extended period of time).