Old 30-04-2005, 02:08 PM
kc

Default Water lily/lotus for ahde?

I've seen posts for this before but can't find them now...I have a pond that
I never realized (until I brought home a solar floating light and really
looked at my sunlight source) is really mostly in shade...explains why my
water lilies never bloomed though I did get some blooms on my water lettuce
(or hyacinth, it may be called).
Does anyone know of some good water lilies or lotus for shade? And
excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a water lily and a
lotus?
Thanks--
Kirsten

Old 30-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Charles

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:08:26 -0400, "kc"
wrote:

I've seen posts for this before but can't find them now...I have a pond that
I never realized (until I brought home a solar floating light and really
looked at my sunlight source) is really mostly in shade...explains why my
water lilies never bloomed though I did get some blooms on my water lettuce
(or hyacinth, it may be called).
Does anyone know of some good water lilies or lotus for shade? And
excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a water lily and a
lotus?
Thanks--
Kirsten

By chance, the current issue of "Water Gardening" magazine has a list.

Arc en Ciel
Berit Strawn
Black Opal
Candida
Chromatella
Colorado
Gloriosa
Hermine
James Brydon
Joey Tomocik
Lemon Chiffon
Marliac Carnea
Mexicana
Odorata Gigantea
Perry's Baby Red
Rembrandt
Texas Dawn

these are all hardy water lilies. W. lilies and lotus are different,
a web search for appropriate sites is in order.

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 30-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Kristen,

Go to several of the water gardening sites and/or businesses on the web for
ponds that sell lilies and they usually have some lilies that will tolerate
sharde. This means that they will bloom with less light, but they will
still not bloom as profusly if they had the proper light hours.

Tom L.L.
news