Old 06-05-2005, 05:20 AM
DD DDD

Default Sunterra pump problems and filter

I bought a 1250 gph Sunterra pump because my other pump went bad. But
the Sunterra lasted 10 minutes and it stopped. Then it started again. It
seems to have a thermal protector as per instructions. I am returning
it. I need a good 1250-1800 gph pump with low energy draw. I use it in
my 300 gallon preform. Any Ideas? Is Sunterra any good? I got it at
Menards but I dont see much info on the net or there website. Are they
new? I use it for my bio/mech outside of pond filter. I hate there
tubing. Its not flexable enough. Is there any tubing that flexes or
should i just use pvc. Thank you.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Reel McKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I bought a 1250 gph Sunterra pump because my other pump went bad. But
the Sunterra lasted 10 minutes and it stopped. Then it started again. It
seems to have a thermal protector as per instructions. I am returning
it. I need a good 1250-1800 gph pump with low energy draw. I use it in
my 300 gallon preform. Any Ideas? Is Sunterra any good? I got it at
Menards but I dont see much info on the net or there website. Are they
new? I use it for my bio/mech outside of pond filter. I hate there
tubing. Its not flexable enough. Is there any tubing that flexes or
should i just use pvc. Thank you.

======================
I don't know why no one replied to you DD. I wish I could help but I don't
have that brand of pump. The tubing I use is that black pond tubing from
Home Depot. It's flexible enough for what I use it for.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 07-05-2005, 02:39 AM
~Roy~

Probably no one replied because no one here is familiar with that
brand of pump and that was the main issue was it not? Evidently
SunTerra is a little known pump, or perhaps is a brand marketed by and
made for Menards, sort of like Top Fin pumps are made for and marketed
solely by Petsmart. Personally I would return the pump and get a
refund, then buy a Danner Mag drive pump. They can be used submerged
or externally and are pretty popular with ponding. Very energy
efficient to. I just took a look see on Sunterra website, and they
all are submersible types, but they also state they can be used
externally as well......so was this pump setting in full sunlight when
it overheated and stopped working? But even the flow of water through
it should be sufficient to keep it cool.

Do you have a lowes or Home Depot in your area? The Becket and LIttle
Giant line of flex hose is pretty decent and is quite flexible. They
also have hose on bulk reels in black which may prove sufficient for
your intended use. A one piece sectin of flex is certainly better than
multiple joints and fittings to get it to where you want it as coared
to using ridgid PVC, and even the flexible PVC is ot overly flexible
as compared to the beckett and Little Giant brands of pond hose /
tubeing.

On Fri, 6 May 2005 20:15:05 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

===
=========================

Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 AM
DD DDD

Thank you 2. I returned the pump and bought the 1800 gph beckett and
there flex tubing is way better. I guess you learn as you go. I like the
sunterra filter (so far) its easy to maintain. The beckett ran elm tree
seeds right through it. So It seems what I needed. Sunterra is low
priced and they have a great bio box filter I use for my 40 gallon
fountain pump. But I dont like there tubing and there 1800 gpm pumps
draw 500 watts. Then all there boxes marked 1 inch ID hose had 5/8 inch
in the box. The store manager went throgh 8 boxes to find 1 that was
right. So there packages are wrong. But the store did nothing to fix the
problem. Oh well.. Next time Im checking. Im not knocking them since i
use some of there items but they need to get there products marked
correct and better energy savings on there motors. The beckett is 196
watts and is nice. Sunterra was 500 watts. Thats nuts. Live and learn.
Thanks all

Old 07-05-2005, 05:52 AM
DD DDD

Yes there flex hose was so nice to work with tonight in the pond. Thank
you