Old 09-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Nate

Default Rocks, pads, surprises, and plenty of work

We have an 11x16 Aquascape pond that is about 3 1/2 years old. We
started having issues with the pond not filling to capacity and
couldn't find the leak. I also wanted the pond to be a little deeper
so I decided to remove the old liner, dig a little, and install a
larger liner (the original liner from Aquascape was, in my opinion, too
small). Shortly after starting the replacement, I discovered a spot
that was overflowing (partially because of the borderline original
liner size). I figured this was the problem but couldn't locate it in
my previous search attempts. Anyhow, on to the fun stuff.

Rocks lining the pond... If I had to install a pond again, I would
definitely NOT use rocks to line the pond. First you have to have
several thousand pounds of stone delivered (expense) and then you have
to install it (plenty of work). Down the road, if you decide to make
changes like I did, you (obviously) have to remove several thousand
pounds of stone/sludge and then replace several thousand pounds of
stone. I'm actually going to put my stone back in our pond simply
because I have to do something with it.

Lily pads... One of the most incredible root systems that I've ever
seen in my life. There was literally an alien body in my pond which
words cannot adequately describe. A several hundred pound mass of
roots and rocks about 8 feet long and up to a foot and a half thick.
It was simply amazing. We had to cut it into pieces just to remove
it... roots, rocks, and sludge. And here I thought I was imagining
things when I thought my pond wasn't as deep as it used to be. Has
anyone else seen this?

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my experience and previously undecided
opinion on rocks as a liner material (no longer undecided on this
issue).

Old 09-05-2005, 01:56 AM
J.D. Stone

"Nate" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
Lily pads... One of the most incredible root systems that I've ever
seen in my life. There was literally an alien body in my pond which
words cannot adequately describe. A several hundred pound mass of
roots and rocks about 8 feet long and up to a foot and a half thick.
It was simply amazing. We had to cut it into pieces just to remove
it... roots, rocks, and sludge. And here I thought I was imagining
things when I thought my pond wasn't as deep as it used to be. Has
anyone else seen this?

snip

Oh, yeah. I let my lilies jump the pots. The whole bottom is one massive
root system. I am running haalf the volume I used to have. Stays clear,
though. When I decide to clean it up I'll have to do the same thing you did,
again!(don't have any rock lining it though). I did it once before a few
years ago. Had to watch the sludge carefully for the trapped fish. They
fight their way to the surface of the discarded sludge and I'd return them
to the pond, no worse for wear.

JD
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

Old 09-05-2005, 03:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'm actually going to put my stone back in our pond simply
because I have to do something with it.

Build a hill, make a rockery, or sell them, before putting them back in the
pond, would be my suggestion.

Lily pads... One of the most incredible root systems that I've ever
seen in my life. Has anyone else seen this?

Have heard about it lots, why pots are still a good idea over planting
directly in the pond. But everyone's age and back muscles are different and
mine would never put up with digging plants out of the bottom of a pond.
DH helps me put the pot on a table and I work from that much easier
position. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
[...]

I am not a big fan of the ASD pond. Just not my preference as I think they are high maintenance. I am not criticizing the company- but I just would not do it the way they do.

I have a smooth liner bottom, 2 plant shelves. The 1st shelf is 12" from the edge. I fill this with rock to get the good bacteria a jump start before the rest of the system is a full go. Great place for marginals, impatients, ect. and you never see the liner even if I drop the level say 6" when I check and reinforce my edges, ect. I plan on a pond renovation in about 2 years. I will definately add a bottom drain then.

I agree that it is fun to make changes with your pond. A pond is a dynamic, artificial environment that changes daily. When you can improve on something- it gives me a great feeling. Glad to hear of your pond progress. Happy ponding.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Derek Broughton

J.D. Stone wrote:

Oh, yeah. I let my lilies jump the pots. The whole bottom is one massive
root system. I am running haalf the volume I used to have.

Oh man! I let the lotus do that in my bathtub pond. It was OK in that
limited span, I think it would be a bit much letting the lilies take over
the big pond.

Stays clear, though.

I bet!

When I decide to clean it up I'll have to do the same thing you
did, again!(don't have any rock lining it though). I did it once before a
few years ago. Had to watch the sludge carefully for the trapped fish.
They fight their way to the surface of the discarded sludge and I'd return
them to the pond, no worse for wear.

Yeah, it's unsightly, and it would be a problem if you had much anaerobic
activity going on, but with lily root systems like that it probably doesn't
happen.
--
derek

Old 09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Charles the baby crusher Paisley

Nate wrote:
We have an 11x16 Aquascape pond that is about 3 1/2 years old. We
started having issues with the pond not filling to capacity and
couldn't find the leak.

Big snip..

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my experience and previously undecided
opinion on rocks as a liner material (no longer undecided on this
issue).

I edged my pond with rock, 2 inches below the water line and above so
there was no visible liner above the water line. looked prety good..

Just this weekend I was taking it apart to expand... and it's a good
thing I did.. there were literally thousands of razor sharp shards of
rock from the freeze thaw cycle.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:51 AM
J.D. Stone

"Charles the baby crusher Paisley" wrote in message
oups.com...

I edged my pond with rock, 2 inches below the water line and above so
there was no visible liner above the water line. looked prety good..

Just this weekend I was taking it apart to expand... and it's a good
thing I did.. there were literally thousands of razor sharp shards of
rock from the freeze thaw cycle.

Now that's one thing I never would have considered! Good thing Texas doesn't
have much in the way of freeze thaw cycles.
jd

Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Greg Cooper

J.D. Stone wrote:

"Charles the baby crusher Paisley" wrote in message
oups.com...

I edged my pond with rock, 2 inches below the water line and above so
there was no visible liner above the water line. looked prety good..

Just this weekend I was taking it apart to expand... and it's a good
thing I did.. there were literally thousands of razor sharp shards of
rock from the freeze thaw cycle.

Now that's one thing I never would have considered! Good thing Texas doesn't
have much in the way of freeze thaw cycles.
jd

What kind of stone was it?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Charles the baby crusher Paisley

The rock that was the problem was Limestone .. there was also some grey
sedimentary rock that wasn't slate or shale (I don't know what to call
it ... Flagstone? is that a type of rock or a style?) Anyway ..it
wasn't much of a problem, there were flakes off but they weren't sharp.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Flying dragons in a hillside pasture,Fairy surprises and PEEPERS!!!!!! madgardener Gardening 1 06-03-2006 07:46 AM
Flying dragons in a hillside pasture,Fairy surprises and PEEPERS!!!!!! madgardener United Kingdom 1 06-03-2006 07:46 AM
Pond Bottom: rocks or no rocks? JGW Ponds 61 17-08-2005 04:05 AM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM