Old 12-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Bill Stock

Default Filter container suggestions

The parts are slowly arriving for my DIY "Skippy" filter, but I'm still not
happy with the Flowerpot (10 gallons?) as a container. Sorry to belabour
this issue, but I could use some ideas. The flowerpot just looks too flimsy,
a little time in the sun and I fear it will suffer a serious crack.
(Although I did order a pump float switch just in case.) The other issue is
that the conical shape of the FP will not lend itself to tight bulkhead
fittings. I don't have enough space behind the waterfall to sit a filter,
so whatever I use it will have to be piped back to the waterfall.

Perhaps I'll have to scrap the waterfall and sit a whiskey barrel in it's
place. although this is not my first choice. Your design advice would be
appreciated.

TIA

PS. The old commercial filter was put in Sunday and plugged solid by
yesterday!

Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Bill

Bill,

I have a modest 10x4x4 pond and use an "Under Sink" type of filter. It uses
paper throw away cartridge style filters (I replace the filter material with
fiberfill bats cut to size) that are easily changed. Mine is connected to a
length of garden hose from the pump and back to the pond with garden hose.
The container for the filter can be mounted in more than one position,
upright being the first choice.
Something along those lines might work in your waterfall plumbing.
For my pond this filter provides all the external filtering with active
healthy fish, healthy plants, minor algae in the spring, clear water most of
the time.

What can I say?

Bill .... the mostly lurker - occasional poster.

Old 13-05-2005, 04:16 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:54:50 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

The parts are slowly arriving for my DIY "Skippy" filter, but I'm still not
happy with the Flowerpot (10 gallons?) as a container. Sorry to belabour
this issue, but I could use some ideas. The flowerpot just looks too flimsy,

Commercial or home made? 10 gallons seems kind of small and could be why
you're having troubles with fittings, what's the diameter of the opening?
If its flimsy, you need a stronger pot. Up flow, or down? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 13-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

A 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank is the only
way to go.
My water is crystal clear all the way to the bottom
4 feet deep.

Ron

Old 14-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:54:50 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

The parts are slowly arriving for my DIY "Skippy" filter, but I'm still
not
happy with the Flowerpot (10 gallons?) as a container. Sorry to belabour
this issue, but I could use some ideas. The flowerpot just looks too
flimsy,

Commercial or home made? 10 gallons seems kind of small and could be why
you're having troubles with fittings, what's the diameter of the opening?
If its flimsy, you need a stronger pot. Up flow, or down? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Commercial Flowerpot, homemade filter. I think it will be a success once I
get it built. It has to be better than the 2 quart commercial filter. The
commercial filter does keep the pond clear, but it needs cleaned every two
days, once the Algae gets going. I checked out some other flowerpots at
Walmart and they were paper thin.

I'm planning on a 3/4" inflow (1.5" hole), 1" drain (1.75 hole) and 2"
outflow (3" hole). It will be an uplow filter with the skippy vortex.

I don't have room for a monster stock tank.