Old 15-05-2005, 12:05 AM
keith_nuttle

Default fish protection

I have a pond that consist of three basins. Water is pumped to the top
pool and then comes down to the lower pools through sluices. I
finally got the pond operating and the leaks minimized, when my wife
decided we needed fish. We placed the fish in the middle pool, when the
pond is operation the fish get caught in the current and carried to the
lower pools.

The sluices are about 12" long, the width of a 2X8. The water is between
1" and 2" deep depending whether it is from the upper pool or the middle
pool.

How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?

Every thing I have thought of either does not work or creates a dam,
upsetting the dynamics of the pool.

Old 15-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Reel Mckoi

keith_nuttle wrote:

How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?

Sharks in the other ponds. Fish are not as dumb as its owner in most cases.

Every thing I have thought of either does not work or creates a dam,
upsetting the dynamics of the pool.

# you need the help of the fame japanese pond engineer.

Master Idontgivedamyama

McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Reel Mckoi

go to this website, and you will see me with my pet.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/05/11/195116.php

I am right under the book.

And if anyone say that me and my grandson I will sue.

Old 15-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Snooze

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
I have a pond that consist of three basins. Water is pumped to the top
pool and then comes down to the lower pools through sluices. I finally got
the pond operating and the leaks minimized, when my wife decided we needed
fish. We placed the fish in the middle pool, when the pond is operation
the fish get caught in the current and carried to the lower pools.

The sluices are about 12" long, the width of a 2X8. The water is between
1" and 2" deep depending whether it is from the upper pool or the middle
pool.

How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?

Every thing I have thought of either does not work or creates a dam,
upsetting the dynamics of the pool.

Try putting a screen infront of the sluice to keep the fish out. You can get
plastic netting or screening from a hardware store, the kind used to keep
leaves out of roof gutters. Maybe a strawberry basket?

-S

Old 15-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Reel Mckoi

how can you be the real reel mckoi when I am the real Reel Mckoi?
I just don't get it......how about posting your birth certificate, and
I'll post mine..........and we'll see who is the Real Reel Mckoi.

Personally I would use Piranhas.........they don;t spash as much water
out of the kiddie pools, like them big old sharks do.

then again, the more mcKois the better.......

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:12:16 -0400, Reel Mckoi
wrote:

===keith_nuttle wrote:
===
=== How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?
===
===
===Sharks in the other ponds. Fish are not as dumb as its owner in most cases.
===
===
===
=== Every thing I have thought of either does not work or creates a dam,
=== upsetting the dynamics of the pool.
===
===
===
=== # you need the help of the fame japanese pond engineer.
===
===Master Idontgivedamyama
===
===McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
===EVERYONE: "Please check people's headers for forgeries
===before flushing." :-)
===~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Elaine T

keith_nuttle wrote:
I have a pond that consist of three basins. Water is pumped to the top
pool and then comes down to the lower pools through sluices. I
finally got the pond operating and the leaks minimized, when my wife
decided we needed fish. We placed the fish in the middle pool, when the
pond is operation the fish get caught in the current and carried to the
lower pools.

The sluices are about 12" long, the width of a 2X8. The water is between
1" and 2" deep depending whether it is from the upper pool or the middle
pool.

How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?

Every thing I have thought of either does not work or creates a dam,
upsetting the dynamics of the pool.

I have a smaller but smaller setup of whiskey barrels connected by
spillways. I wanted to keep the white clouds away from the larger fish
so they could eat more easily and maybe breed. I cut up a plant basket
to get a fine grate that I put at the start of the spillway below the
white clouds. Water pressure keeps the grate in place. It does catch
fine leaves and detritus, but I just flip it 180 degrees when I'm out
feeding the fish and it self-cleans.

The more surface area your grate has, the better, and the ideal one
would be more like a half-basket so you don't have to clean it very often.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 15-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Reel McKoi

Old 15-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Reel McKoi

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
. ..
Do you have a wife who likes animals?

====================
Please check for forged headers.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 15-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Reel McKoi

Old 15-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Greg Cooper

keith_nuttle wrote:

I have a pond that consist of three basins. Water is pumped to the top
pool and then comes down to the lower pools through sluices.
How can I contain the fish in the middle pool?

I had a similar problem with small fish being swepted into my pond
skimmer then being exhausted by fighting the current. I rescued one
but one little one died.
I took some plastic fruit tree netting (it is cheap and has a mesh of
about 1/2 inch) and made a effective screen with a bit of green plastic
tubing, to make a frame and hot glue to stick it together - been working
for 2 years now. The mesh being that size does not effect the flow or
clog up too fast.

Cheers.

PS: being as this _is_ a pond group I guess it is not _too_
inappropriate that we have a lot of "Trolling" going on ;-)

protection Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 29-03-2003 09:08 AM
protection [email protected] North Carolina 1 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Need Ideas, fish protection? [email protected] Ponds 3 26-01-2003 01:29 PM