Old 15-05-2005, 12:23 PM
John Bachman

Default How to get fertilizer tablet down there?

My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

TIA

John

Old 15-05-2005, 01:18 PM
George

"John Bachman" wrote in message
My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

TIA

John

What kind of pots are they in?

Old 15-05-2005, 01:51 PM
~roy~

SCUBA diving gear! ;-)
I have lillys in some deep water and a natural pond.

Most times I do not mind crawling into the water and doing what needs
to be done, but sometimes I prefer to stay dry.
I have used a piece of thinwall conduit (EMT) as well as a piece of
1/2" or larger PVC pipe long enough to reach the bottom. Postion the
EMT or PVC , place spike or tablet in the upper end, and use a dowel
or bamboo garden type stake to push thre spike or tablet down through
the pipe and into the dirt.........

The farmers Co-Ops around here sell a plastic bolus gun for under
$2.00. which is about 16" long I bet one of those could easily be
adapted to make it longer and it would be the perfect tool to insert
fertilizer tablets etc into plants in deeper water. May have to check
one out come Monday and see what it would take to make it longer.

Old 15-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Reel McKoi

John Bachman wrote:
My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

TIA

John

enemas!!! it helps me with my grandson, my husband, and my ponds.

McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Reel McKoi

Old 15-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Hal

On Sun, 15 May 2005 07:23:25 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

My pond is not quite so deep, but I found a 1/4" dia. X 48" wood dowel
and a piece of tubing the right size to fit the tomato stake type
fertilizer about 1/4"dia. by 2" long and that worked for a couple
years. Push the rod and tubing into the soil in the pot a couple
inches and remove the rod, drop in the stake and push with the rod.

Regards,

Hal
Old 16-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Steve J. Noll

wrote:

My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

TIA

John

Here's what I've done:

http://www.kissingfrogs.tv/lilypots.html

My lilies are not planted as deep, but maybe this will give you
another idea.
I found it hard to ''push'' the tabs into the pots when they got so
jammed with tuber. This solves that too.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (USDA Zone 10)
Old 16-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Greg Cooper

wrote:

My lilies are at the bottom of a 40 inch pond. I would like to find a
convienent way to push fertilizer tablets into their pots that avoids
wading and dunking.

How do others deal with this problem?

TIA

John

Here's what I've done:

http://www.kissingfrogs.tv/lilypots.html

My lilies are not planted as deep, but maybe this will give you
another idea.
I found it hard to ''push'' the tabs into the pots when they got so
jammed with tuber. This solves that too.

A very ingenious solution Steve - and a very cool pond too. I remember
seeing your pictures along time ago - the mature product looks great.