Old 20-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Chris

Default Fish and amphibia

I've just recently learned the importance of vernal ponds to amphibian
populations. Since vernal ponds dry out in the summer, they don't
support fish, and are therefore safe places for amphibians to breed.

In my own pond, I'm more interested in encouraging amphibians than
fish, although I'd like to have some fish to keep the mosquito
population down. Can anyone comment on the compatibility of *small*,
native fish species and breeding amphibians?

Chris

Old 20-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just recently learned the importance of vernal ponds to amphibian
populations. Since vernal ponds dry out in the summer, they don't
support fish, and are therefore safe places for amphibians to breed.

In my own pond, I'm more interested in encouraging amphibians than
fish, although I'd like to have some fish to keep the mosquito
population down. Can anyone comment on the compatibility of *small*,
native fish species and breeding amphibians?

=================================
About 1/2 dozen minnows in a quiet pond should take care of the mosquitoes
and provide a nice breeding place for the amphibians. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
before flushing." :-)

Old 20-05-2005, 05:38 PM
kathy

Hi Chris,

I keep a fishless pond for amphibians and insect larvae.

I keep mosquitoes out of it by using granular Mosquito Dunks.
I use the granular kind because the 'Frog Bog' is stuffed with
plants and there are lots of nooks and crannies so I broadcast
it to get in all those places.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 20-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

kathy wrote:
Hi Chris,

I keep a fishless pond for amphibians and insect larvae.

Yeah these critter do kn ow the diferance.--
CR.......
Yep, the sleazebags at the WTS added another 120 years to 1914. What a
hoot! :-D The poor misled JWs who were waiting for 1975 got the shaft,
then 2000, shafted again... now this. What happened to all their promised
and underlined scripture proving the generation who saw 1914 would not pass
away before "the end of this system of things?" And they claim a clear
direct line to Jehovah!!!
How can any rational person be so gullible as to swallow this obvious male
bovine excreta? This GB vomit....
=======================================

Old 21-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Hi Chris,

I keep a fishless pond for amphibians and insect larvae.

I keep mosquitoes out of it by using granular Mosquito Dunks.
I use the granular kind because the 'Frog Bog' is stuffed with
plants and there are lots of nooks and crannies so I broadcast
it to get in all those places.

Don't mosquito dunks kill _all_ insect larvae?
--
derek

Old 22-05-2005, 03:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:06:57 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Don't mosquito dunks kill _all_ insect larvae?

Nope, only mosquito larvae and some types of caterpillars. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-05-2005, 04:35 AM
kathy

And blackfly larva.
But everybody else is still hatching out of
the frog bog.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromtheblog.com

Old 25-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Chris

Thanks for the comments of other amphibiaphiles. I'm still doing site
preparation on a pond I hope to have completed before the summer's out.
I'll post pictures someday.

Chris