Old 25-05-2005, 12:02 PM
pixi

Default New Goldfish

Good Morning. I have been keeping a couple of goldfish in the house. It
was too cold to put them out when I bought them. Nothing but trouble. I
have had them in a ten-gallon tank and a one-gallon tank. Either tank
clouds up in a day or two for some strange reason. I would like to put them
outside in the big pond but don't know whether or not it is too cold. I
assume the water in the inside tank ranges from 65 to 70. (Room
temperature) No idea what the700 gallon pond is but the outside temperature
this morning is 58.

Would it be safe to put them out now in a plastic bag and then release them
into the outside pond later today? Or would it still be too much of a
shock.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 25-05-2005, 01:26 PM
CanadianCowboy©

I kept my goldfish out in Canadian winters !!!

All lived !!!

Goldfish are not really tropical so it is OK !

Old 25-05-2005, 02:43 PM
axemanchris

Your goldfish would be much happier outdoors in a pond than in the cramped
quarters of a one gallon tank! They do require at least 10 gal. per fish
when in an aquarium. That's why the water will cloud up. Goldfish produce
alot of waste! Anyway, introduce them in a bag or a pail of water to let
the temps match up and they should be fine. If your pond is deep enough
(usually 36" to avoid freezing to the bottom) the fish can winter through.
There will be lots of posts about overwintering fish in the fall, so if
you'd like keep them out of doors all year round, you'll find everything you
need to know here.

Happy Ponding!
Jacqui

Old 25-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Derek Broughton

CanadianCowboy© wrote:

I kept my goldfish out in Canadian winters !!!

All lived !!!

Goldfish are not really tropical so it is OK !

Goldfish aren't _at all_ tropical, but the problem is not the minimum
temperature they can survive (at least 0C) but the temperature change that
they can handle. It's best if you don't subject them to more than a few
degrees change in a day. If you make a large change gradual enough that
you don't shock them (which could kill them outright) you still put stress
on their sytems which makes them more susceptible to disease.
--
derek

Old 25-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Reel McKoi

"pixi" wrote in message
Would it be safe to put them out now in a plastic bag and then release

them
into the outside pond later today? Or would it still be too much of a
shock.

================
That should be ok. They'll do better in the pond.... :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 26-05-2005, 02:48 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Get a thermometer and check the temperature of the pond in the middle of
the day. If it is the same or close to the inside tank, move them. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 26-05-2005, 03:59 AM
pixi

Most of my goldfish spend the winters outside all winter long but these fish
are not used to it. They have been inside for at least three months so
must be aclimated. I just don't know whether they could go from being in 68
to 70 degree water to water that is quite possibly in the 40s.
I would, of course, put water with the temperature that they are used to in
a bag with the fish and then let it float in the pond outside for a few
hours before letting the fish out.

But still that could be an awful shock to their systems. That's why I
asked.

Appreciate your reply.

Old 26-05-2005, 06:53 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:59:29 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

Most of my goldfish spend the winters outside all winter long but these fish
are not used to it. They have been inside for at least three months so
must be aclimated. I just don't know whether they could go from being in 68
to 70 degree water to water that is quite possibly in the 40s.

I think you already know the answer to this. Do 10% water changes on the
tanks every other day using an Amquel-type product. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

New Goldfish Roy Ponds 4 07-09-2004 05:34 AM
New Koi hassling goldfish is this normal? steve Ponds 2 17-07-2004 05:04 PM
New Koi hassling goldfish is this normal? steve Ponds 2 11-07-2004 12:04 PM
new 125g natural sunlight goldfish aquarium s g Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
new 125g natural sunlight goldfish aquarium s g Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-03-2003 04:03 AM