Old 28-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Wilmdale

Default Retro fit bottom drain

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the Tetra or any other
vacuum bottom drain?
Since I am going to do some replumbing anyway, I thought I might add a
bottom drain. However, putting in a true bottom drain seems a little
impractical right now as I would need to drain my pond to do it and
well, that would be a lot just to add that drain right now. Maybe in
the spring of 2006 just before I start things up again.
I am wondering if the vacuum bottom drain would be a better choice over
the submersible pump.
Thanks again, everybody!
W. Dale

Old 28-05-2005, 03:13 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:32:02 -0600, Wilmdale wrote:

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the Tetra or any other
vacuum bottom drain?
I am wondering if the vacuum bottom drain would be a better choice over
the submersible pump.
Thanks again, everybody!
W. Dale

W.Dale, if you go to my website you'll see a diagram of what I did with my
pond using both the no-niche skimmer and tetra vac bottom drain. Click on
*My filter*. I've been real happy with the set up, beats a pump in the
pond.

DH & I did at one time discuss going thru the liner, but found out the only
way to do it with a good seal was to put in new liner. We neither have the
money, nor do I have the energy to move all the rocks at this time. I think
I'd be more apt to covert the two pond system into one big pond if we got
serious about a remodel. Though I really like the look of my 2 pond system,
it is no where near big enough when a koi hits the 2' size. Not with the
plants I also like to keep in it. Recently sold my biggest koi for this
reason. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Wilmdale

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jan. Your design is simple and looks like something that could
be accomplished without too much hassle. And the cost of the Tetra
vacuum bottom drain is enticing as well. If I attempted to put in a
bottom drain, I think I would probably be working on it for at least 3 -
5 days plus I would need to empty my pond setting it back for the
season. I think I will try a variation on your design using the 3 stock
tanks I have. I may even remove the other little giant and run all 4
filters off the external pump. I am probably going to go with the Money
Saver Pump (1 hp that can be dialed down) and try your triple cam lock
fitting idea with the 3" pipes. That way I can feed the 2 - 70 gallons
stock tank filters, 1 - 100 gallon stock tank filter, and the 500 gallon
veggie filter. I think that may work. I will keep the submersible
little giant around for emergencies.
I appreciate you help and suggestion. I will keep you posted and try
chronicle the process.
Have a happy weekend!
W. Dale

Old 28-05-2005, 09:47 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

[...]

Looking forward to what you come up with. ;-) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Retro bottom vac drain. W Dale Ponds 4 02-07-2005 04:02 PM
Retro fit bottom drain Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 12 27-06-2003 07:28 PM
DIY Bottom Drain and Diffusers BenignVanilla Ponds 8 08-04-2003 08:56 PM
DIY Skimmer/Bottom Drain/Gaskets RichToyBox Ponds 0 29-03-2003 01:56 AM
Filter, skimmer, bottom drain...how many pumps? BenignVanilla Ponds 11 03-02-2003 09:41 PM