Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Repelling Bees

Here is a problem I have not seen on here...
We live in Mesa Arizona and it gets quite hot. The past few summers we
have had, as I am sure everyone has, bees coming to the waterfall to
have a drink and take water back to the hive. Of course we did not
mind.
This year, however, there are upwards of 25-40 bees at a time coming
down to drink, constantly flying back and forth to the hive. Due to
the fact the most bees here in Arizona are of the Africanized variety,
this makes us a little nervous. Does anyone know of any way,
preferebly non lethal, to disuade them from doing this? They are just
getting out of hand and for the safety of us, our neighbors, and other
animals, it's time for them to move on.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:46 PM

Doubtful.
I see the bees fly over the fence and from there I am not sure where.
If I do find it I may contact the county to see if they will
remove/relocate it.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Jan! I'm surprised at you! Suggesting to move a bunch of possibly
nasty "killer" bees to the neighbor as his problem?! On the other hand
you may have something there... *grin*

Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
San Diego Joe

" wrote:

Here is a problem I have not seen on here...
We live in Mesa Arizona and it gets quite hot. The past few summers we
have had, as I am sure everyone has, bees coming to the waterfall to
have a drink and take water back to the hive. Of course we did not
mind.
This year, however, there are upwards of 25-40 bees at a time coming
down to drink, constantly flying back and forth to the hive. Due to
the fact the most bees here in Arizona are of the Africanized variety,
this makes us a little nervous. Does anyone know of any way,
preferebly non lethal, to disuade them from doing this? They are just
getting out of hand and for the safety of us, our neighbors, and other
animals, it's time for them to move on.

I think you'll find they won't bother you. Foraging bees are very rarely
aggressive and will sting only if you mess with them. Even if one does
sting, you will not see the "whole hive" reaction you would get if you were
close to the hive.

I don't think there is a way to get them to stay away, although, as someone
else suggested, putting a water supply closer to them might help. Seems like
they will still be there for flower nectar though.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.