Old 09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
kathy

Default new turtle at ka30p's pond :-)

Thru the master gardener grapevine that jan
is privy to there came a painted turtle who
needed a home so jan thought of me!

Very nice lady and her sweet *almost* 8th grade
daughter brought over a large painted turtle,
about the size of a salad plate.

Turtle slipped right in the water and swam around
looking very happy and enjoying herself.

Over the years we've adopted other turtles, frogs
and salamanders who are ready to move on or who
have outgrown their home pond.

Will try and get a picture of her when youngest
son and I have a minute to ourselves (end of school,
beginning of football, scout activities galore AND
an all important 16th bday coming up!!)

kathy :-)www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the damselfly

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 PM

In . com, on 06/09/05
at 07:57 AM, "kathy" said:

Thru the master gardener grapevine that jan
is privy to there came a painted turtle who
needed a home so jan thought of me!

Very nice lady and her sweet *almost* 8th grade
daughter brought over a large painted turtle,
about the size of a salad plate.

I hope it stays, as my adopted painted turtle has (been here through four
winters now.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM

In , on 06/09/05
at 07:20 PM, Stephen Henning said:

I just noticed yesterday that I have a painted turtle in our pond that
found its way in naturally. It seems to like to keep company with our
water snake. The golden shiner minnows, trap door snails, spotted
salamanders and frogs are doing well also. I am sure the snake and
turtle are well fed. I don't have any ramps so I don't know if the
salamanders and turtles can get out.

Turtle needs to be able to get out to bask in the sun.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Stephen Henning

"kathy" wrote:

Very nice lady and her sweet *almost* 8th grade
daughter brought over a large painted turtle,
about the size of a salad plate.

I just noticed yesterday that I have a painted turtle in our pond that
found its way in naturally. It seems to like to keep company with our
water snake. The golden shiner minnows, trap door snails, spotted
salamanders and frogs are doing well also. I am sure the snake and
turtle are well fed. I don't have any ramps so I don't know if the
salamanders and turtles can get out.

I just removed 25 gallons of azolla caroliniana (fairy moss) which was
making it hard for the fish to feed on the surface insects. I also put
in my first lotus, a yellow cultivar of the native American lotus
(Nelumbo lutea).
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Stephen Henning

Alan wrote:

Stephen Henning said:
I don't have any ramps so I don't know if the
salamanders and turtles can get out.

Turtle needs to be able to get out to bask in the sun.

I have cement bricks that are used as weights on my marginal plant
benches whose top surfaces stick out of the water that the turtle and
frogs can rest on. There is a set of steps going down into the pond and
the top of the top step is just an inch out of the water also. The
turtle is usually just in the hunting position with its head sticking
out of the water. The frogs are usually sitting on top of a marginal
plant.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

report~ka30p's atlantis island in the pond and other stuff kathy Ponds 0 12-06-2005 07:15 PM
OT - ka30p Ka30P Ponds 4 18-05-2004 06:08 AM
OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info chagoi Ponds 5 20-04-2004 06:11 PM
Ka30P (or some other "bookmark" fiend) Lee B. Ponds 11 19-02-2004 09:16 PM
Thanks Ka30P Glenn Lynn Ponds 2 20-01-2004 05:12 PM