Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM
kathy

Default report~ka30p's atlantis island in the pond and other stuff

Recap - we made a second island, didn't have
it supported well enough and it floated off its
base and sank. So we redid the base, put a big rock
in the middle of the planter and raised Atlantis.

It is fine. It is built out of aged builders brick
(good for fishy condos) and topped with a large
flat planter that looks a bit like an oil filter.

We filled it with aquatic soil, micro cattails and
planted creeping jenny around the outside to cover
the edges. We also put in lots of aquatic plant fertilizer
tabs.

WOW! Don't know if it is the tabs or the nutrient rich
water but the creeping jenny went to town. You can barely
find the black edges of the planter now. I thought it
would look like this in a year's time so I'm really
pleased with how it looks.

I'll try and get a picture up on next week's blog.
Digital camera went off to scout event with youngest
son.

*We* are kind of out of school here, twins get a week
off until they start summer quarter, youngest gets a week
of football practice before I start him studying for
the evil-high stakes-wasl test in our state, and I am
in school for the next 15 months straight but I only
go on Fridays and Saturdays.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ a snake story

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~