Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
uvdoc

Default watercress

A lady here told me about using watercress for my pond helping it filter if
anyone know how to use the watercress please let me know I bought some but
putting it under a rock as suggested makes it completely under water is this
ok and will it grow Please advise on proper use The lady that suggested it
I beleave is Kathy hope you can help thanks Jim in Virginia.........

Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
kathy

I grow my watercress in my waterfall, where the
water is shallow. I put the roots or the stem, doesn't
matter, under a rock to hold it in place.

If you don't have a waterfall you could take a planting
basket, secure it to the side of your filter and put it
in there.

If you have more specific questions, just give me an
idea of your filter and we can figure out a way to
make it work.

kathy :-)www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ the damselfly

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
jon

Going on my own experiance, Watercress will servive anything you can do to
it, I have to remove mine completely several times a year just to keep ahead
of it and all I did to start it all off was throw a bag of it from the
supermarket on top of my smaller pond. its now every where in filters etc.
leave the slightest bit of root behind and it'll be back within a week or
so.

jon

nk.net...

Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Gareee©

"jon" wrote in message
Going on my own experiance, Watercress will servive anything you can do to
it, I have to remove mine completely several times a year just to keep
ahead
of it and all I did to start it all off was throw a bag of it from the
supermarket on top of my smaller pond. its now every where in filters etc.
leave the slightest bit of root behind and it'll be back within a week or
so.

I've had the opposite problem.. I bought 6 bundles of watercress, tossed
them in, and they grow fine, but the fish has decided that they are VERY
tasty.

I still need to find some major coverage plant to get rid of my greenwater,
but here in the mountains of NC, there's little to be found anywhere.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

I still need to find some major coverage plant to get rid of my

greenwater,
but here in the mountains of NC, there's little to be found anywhere.

The Home Depots around Charlotte have lots of pond plants
now, I would think the ones up your way would too.
My veggie filter is already full and I'm starting to put the new
growth in the pond.

You can see photos of the our pond here,
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html

Ron

Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Gareee©

" Ron Lawrence KC4YOY" wrote in message
. ..

I still need to find some major coverage plant to get rid of my

greenwater,
but here in the mountains of NC, there's little to be found anywhere.

The Home Depots around Charlotte have lots of pond plants
now, I would think the ones up your way would too.
My veggie filter is already full and I'm starting to put the new
growth in the pond.

The closest one is about a half hour away highway, but might be worth the
trip...

Old 10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
John

I like your veggie filter i was wondering where do u have the inlet located
for the veggie filter setup..Thinking about doing something like that for
our 500 gallon pond

Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

John wrote in message
I like your veggie filter i was wondering where do u have the inlet

located
for the veggie filter setup..

The pump is located in the bottom of a 5 gallon paint bucket.
The rest of the bucket is full of lava rocks with 1/2 inch holes
drilled in the cover.
The veggie filter has been running 24/7 for almost 3 years
and has not been cleaned, I cleaned the pump bucket
pre-filter last summer when I had to replace the pump.
This setup works great, the water is crystal clear
all the way to the bottom 4 feet deep.

Ron

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM