Old 18-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Angrie.Woman

"Heather" wrote in message
Picture at http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth under 2004 at
the bottom of the page.

WHat did you use for surface area in the skippy filter? (Is that the right
term? It looks like strips of something in mesh bags.)

Old 18-06-2005, 11:18 PM
J.D. Stone

"Heather" wrote in message
We are in Zone 5 in SW Ontario. Third year for the elephant ears. Have
green and purple.

Mine are planted in mesh baskets with rocks holding them in place. When
the
roots really get going some of the rocks can be removed to make room for
the
roots and base to expand. They are placed not far from the bottom of the
water fall and not fertilized. The roots extend out the mesh and use
available nutrients in the pond water. Last summer they grew massive and
it
wasn't that great a summer. Also shady where mine are. When expecting
bad
thunder storms with winds I drop deeper in the pond or lay them down.

In the fall I either move to a large pot of water and grow as a house
plant
all winter or let them dry up. I needed to split one last year so let it
dry up; divided it; and restarted it about January. Don't put out until
danger of frost is past.

Picture at http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth under 2004 at
the bottom of the page.

Heather

Humm..... I wonder how they would do in zone 5? Anyone in zone 5 every
grown elephant ears successfully?
W. Dale

I like the way you supported the light grid. I am envious of the water
hyacinth. Only one of mine survived the winter and it is struggling.
JD