Old 15-06-2005, 03:47 AM
G & K Meyer

Default elephant ear

I put in a number of elephant ear plants a few weeks ago and one is doing
nothing, and the others just have a small sprout like piece coming out the
top. How long do these take to really get going I hoped for some nice shade
for the pond from them.

Thanks for any help.

--
Greg &/or Kellie Meyer

Old 15-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Reel Mckoi

"G & K Meyer" wrote in message
I put in a number of elephant ear plants a few weeks ago and one is doing
nothing, and the others just have a small sprout like piece coming out

the
top. How long do these take to really get going I hoped for some nice

shade
for the pond from them.

Thanks for any help.

==============================
They like a nice rich soft damp soil to flourish. They also like warm
nights. Make sure they don't have spider mites.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 15-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Elaine T

G & K Meyer wrote:
I put in a number of elephant ear plants a few weeks ago and one is doing
nothing, and the others just have a small sprout like piece coming out the
top. How long do these take to really get going I hoped for some nice shade
for the pond from them.

Thanks for any help.

I have some taro in the ground (I'm in zone 10). For the most part,
they're pretty slow growers. Mine only seem to add a few leaves a year.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 15-06-2005, 12:55 PM
~Roy~

Lots of sunshine, heat and water will make them grow fast...

We have some aorund our hot tub patio area, and every winter we cut
them down to the ground. They are better than 5 or 6 inches in
diameter at the ground level. Every spring about late April you will
see a small bud form off the old root, and the next thing they are
over 2 or 3 feet tall and multiplying. Right now they have leaves
approx 2 feet long, and are well over 4 foot tall.......By mid July
they will have leaves better than 3 feet in size and provide shade
over one side of the hot tub and also the table on the patio........

The ones growing in and around my pond obtain 3 or 4 feet in no time
and every fall I cut them down to water level or below............and
right now its a thick deep forest of Taro and elephant
ears...........in dire need of thinning out..

Heat and humidity and lots of water............and we have never
fertilized them

I also have them weighted down (small plants) and have them fully
submerged in various 55 and greater aquariums, planted bare root, and
they do fine that way as well. Really neat looking seeing elephant
ears with leaves all spead out under water........As they outgrow the
tank, I just snip off the larger stems and leaves, as they keep
putting new out constantly.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:20:42 GMT, Elaine T
wrote:

===G & K Meyer wrote:
=== I put in a number of elephant ear plants a few weeks ago and one is doing
=== nothing, and the others just have a small sprout like piece coming out the
=== top. How long do these take to really get going I hoped for some nice shade
=== for the pond from them.
===
=== Thanks for any help.
===
===I have some taro in the ground (I'm in zone 10). For the most part,
===they're pretty slow growers. Mine only seem to add a few leaves a year.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 15-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Wilmdale

wrote:

===G & K Meyer wrote:
=== I put in a number of elephant ear plants a few weeks ago and one is doing
=== nothing, and the others just have a small sprout like piece coming out the
=== top. How long do these take to really get going I hoped for some nice shade
=== for the pond from them.
===
=== Thanks for any help.
===
===I have some taro in the ground (I'm in zone 10). For the most part,
===they're pretty slow growers. Mine only seem to add a few leaves a year.

"The original frugal ponder"

Humm..... I wonder how they would do in zone 5? Anyone in zone 5 every
grown elephant ears successfully?
W. Dale

Old 15-06-2005, 01:55 PM
~Roy~

I would suspect they would grow if you can give em what they
need...........I sent a bunch of small EE and Taro to a lady on Long
Island earlier this year and from what she told me she took some to
their cabin in the Pocono Mountains in Eastern PA, and all are doing
just fine and are about 3 feet in height with leaves of a foot or
better, so there really is no reason with warm weather and sunshine
they would not do ok. You can always bring them in in the fall before
the frost, as the first frost will knock em down., and make them
pretty mushy like old lettuce.........On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:36:32
-0600, Wilmdale wrote:

===~Roy~ wrote:
===
[...]
===wrote:
===
===
===
======
====== Thanks for any help.
======
======I have some taro in the ground (I'm in zone 10). For the most part,
======they're pretty slow growers. Mine only seem to add a few leaves a year.
===
===
===
===
============================================== ===
===Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
==="The original frugal ponder"
===~~~~ }((((o ~~~~~~ }{{{{o ~~~~~~~ }(((((o
===
===

Old 15-06-2005, 02:34 PM
G & K Meyer

We are in Colorado, zone 5 I think, between Denver and Colorado Springs. So
sunshine and temp should not hold them back, but not much humidity here. I
have them in pots in the pond, with rock around them, and water level about
half way up the bulb.
Just waiting to see something happen.
Thanks again for info.

Old 15-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Heather

We are in Zone 5 in SW Ontario. Third year for the elephant ears. Have
green and purple.

Mine are planted in mesh baskets with rocks holding them in place. When the
roots really get going some of the rocks can be removed to make room for the
roots and base to expand. They are placed not far from the bottom of the
water fall and not fertilized. The roots extend out the mesh and use
available nutrients in the pond water. Last summer they grew massive and it
wasn't that great a summer. Also shady where mine are. When expecting bad
thunder storms with winds I drop deeper in the pond or lay them down.

In the fall I either move to a large pot of water and grow as a house plant
all winter or let them dry up. I needed to split one last year so let it
dry up; divided it; and restarted it about January. Don't put out until
danger of frost is past.

Picture at http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth under 2004 at
the bottom of the page.

Heather

Old 15-06-2005, 05:01 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Picture at http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth under 2004 at
the bottom of the page.

Heather

Wow, loved meeting all your frogs. ~ jan )

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 16-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Elaine T

It must be lack of humidity that slows mine down. Heat and sunshine I
have aplenty. I'm thinking of digging one out of the garden and putting
it in the pond to see what happens.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 16-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Reel McKoi

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
Humm..... I wonder how they would do in zone 5? Anyone in zone 5 every
grown elephant ears successfully?
W. Dale

=============================
I'm in zone 6. We bring then inside for the winter after the first light
frost.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 16-06-2005, 12:20 PM
John Bachman

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:23:01 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
Humm..... I wonder how they would do in zone 5? Anyone in zone 5 every
grown elephant ears successfully?
W. Dale

In zone 5a and trying ee for the first time this year. Alas, a very
cold, wet spring is not ee friendly. I dug up the bulb a couple of
days ago and it is putting out roots but not much else so far.

Stay tuned.

John

Old 16-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote:

"Wilmdale" wrote in message
Humm..... I wonder how they would do in zone 5? Anyone in zone 5 every
grown elephant ears successfully?
W. Dale

In zone 5a and trying ee for the first time this year. Alas, a very
cold, wet spring is not ee friendly. I dug up the bulb a couple of
days ago and it is putting out roots but not much else so far.

Stay tuned.

John

==============================
When I grew them I would wait until the nights were fairly warm, usually
around mid to late May here in TN - then plant them. The earth was soft and
mixed with a lot of compost and composted cow manure. Every spring I added
some bone and blood meal to the area. A little 10-10-10 or 10-15-10
fertilizer wouldn't hurt either. Those elephant ears grew rapidly and got
huge in a few weeks. Keep them moist. They don't care for dry soil or poor
clay soils.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 16-06-2005, 06:32 PM
~Roy~

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:58:05 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
blabbered on:

snip
=== They don't care for dry soil or poor
===clay soils.

Hmmmmmmmmm, guess someone needs to go tell all the elephant ears I
have growing up through my clay gravel then that have never seenw ater
other than any rainfall and the ground is as hard as
concrete.............or maybe perhaps inform all our EE's they have
been neglected by not getting fertilizers and a constant
watering........when they have grown huge with no help from a human in
many many years and continue to do fine in hard packed clay, sand in
the water, in the shade, in the sun, under azaleas, pine trees,totally
submerged in aquariums, and a host of other impractical places.

All EE's needs is dirt/sand of any type, and the more moisture and
humidity the better, but it will grow virtually anywhere a weed
will.......wilth little to no intervention by a human..........

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 16-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Reel Mckoi

"~Roy~" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:58:05 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
blabbered on:

snip
=== They don't care for dry soil or poor
===clay soils.

Hmmmmmmmmm, guess someone needs to go tell all the elephant ears I
have growing up through my clay gravel then that have never seenw ater
other than any rainfall and the ground is as hard as
concrete.............

And had I posted they need dry, infertile hard-as-concrete soil to thrive,
you would have claimed the opposite. I didn't say they wont survive in dry
concrete gravely soil like Roy has.... your reading comprehension seems to
be as poor as your grammar and spelling. Now be a good boy and try
rereading my post regarding EE more S:L:O:W:L:Y this time. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.