Old 19-06-2005, 08:53 PM
*muffin*

Default water testing...... GH still not high enough?

after several days of 'putzing' around with water testing (only really
stared this because koizyme said it needs alkaline water) I still have a low
GH.

here is what I did: (3800 gallon pond) water temps . from thermometer, I
have no idea is working correctly said 65 degrees

also the1st ph reading was about 8pm thursday, then I took one at 6 am fri
morning, they were pretty close.(so I think the ph is stable, didn't look
like it crashes)
thurs: 1st reading
PH 7.5
ammonia 0
nitrite .3 - .5
nitrate 5-10
GH 40-60
KH 60

added 2 lbs of baking soda & 4 cups of dolomitic lime + salt

no change in readings except ph went to 8.0

added 4 more cups of dolomitic lime

ph 8.0
salt .11%
O2 10 mg/l
ammonia 0
gh 60
KH 90
nitrite . 0.3
nitrate ~ 8

the ONLY thing that changed , really was the KH went up.

I read that the lime will not dissolve in water with over 7.5 ph ,,
(correct??) I do see a lot of white laying around on bottom of pond.
sooooooooooo do I just leave this as is? I figure if the stuff isn't
dissolving , more won't help.
or is there something else to bring up the GH?

or should I bother?

( I read you can also use qypsum, but there is the danger of shooting the ph
off the scales........ or should I make one of those plaster of paris
cupcakes?)

Old 19-06-2005, 09:16 PM
*muffin*

( I read you can also use qypsum, but there is the danger of shooting the
ph
off the scales........ or should I make one of those plaster of paris
cupcakes?)

ok I re-read it, ,it will push GH off the scales.

now I wonder,, why can't you just add a little plaster of paris dissolved in
water to the pond, in stead of using the cupcake method?

Old 19-06-2005, 11:49 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:53:07 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

the ONLY thing that changed , really was the KH went up.

That's what I would expect. I don't know that baking soda has any affect on
GH or is worth worry about it.

I read that the lime will not dissolve in water with over 7.5 ph ,,
(correct??)

That's also my understanding.

or is there something else to bring up the GH?
or should I bother?

I wouldn't bother. Unless someone here has a good explanation of why we
should.

Your numbers don't look too bad currently, do you have a pressurized filter
by chance? If you do, they eat KH like crazy and baking soda will have to
added often, you'll just have to figure out the rythmn so you're not
bouncing the pH when you add it.

Do you currently have salt in the pond to detox the nitrite? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 20-06-2005, 03:52 AM
*muffin*

Your numbers don't look too bad currently, do you have a pressurized
filter
by chance? If you do, they eat KH like crazy and baking soda will have to
added often, you'll just have to figure out the rythmn so you're not
bouncing the pH when you add it.

yes , running a foam 4 chamber pre-filter,,,, into a sand filter,, & then a
bio filter attached

Do you currently have salt in the pond to detox the nitrite? ~ jan

yup
(had that listed)

0.11% salt

Old 20-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Nedra

Hi Muffin,
I agree with Jan. Don't mess with the GH reading. KH is the one you
should actually be worried about - it is the one that measures
Alkalinity...
Do you know whether or not all your test kits are up to date? This was
my problem... mine were last year's issue - hence my panic. They were
terribly
erratic. This 5 tests in 1 is really a great thing to have. It shows
the colors and
inside the label which peels back you have an explanation of each. The
tests it takes are Nitrate; Nitrite; Hardness; Alkalinity; and pH.
(and a "fix" for all the
tests that are off).

Also,when you take the tests, try to take them in the afternoon for a
more accurate reading. Early morning or later in the evening will show
elevated readings.

And finally, I would back off taking any more tests. Just let the pond
and fish rest for awhile ;-)

HTH

Nedra in Missouri
Zone 6

Old 20-06-2005, 05:40 AM
*muffin*

Do you know whether or not all your test kits are up to date? This was
my problem... mine were last year's issue - hence my panic. They were
terribly
erratic.

yup just bought my NEW kit friday,, & i tested with an old one(2 yrs old) &
the results are virtually similar

This 5 tests in 1 is really a great thing to have. It shows
the colors and
inside the label which peels back you have an explanation of each. The
tests it takes are Nitrate; Nitrite; Hardness; Alkalinity; and pH.
(and a "fix" for all the
tests that are off).

I am off to petsmart tomorrow to look for that one.........

Old 20-06-2005, 06:18 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:52:38 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

yes , running a foam 4 chamber pre-filter,,,, into a sand filter,, & then a
bio filter attached

I'm just "assuming" a pressurized sand filter, might be similar to a bead
filter in what it does to the KH. My suggestion is monitor the KH bi-weekly
for awhile and figure out a maintenance treatment and amount of baking soda
as needed. Very similar to pool care. ;o) You just don't want to be adding
baking soda if there is ammonia showing without treating/detoxing the
ammonia.

(Missed the salt info, glad you got it.) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~