Old 25-06-2005, 02:28 PM
~Roy~

Thats what I have done in our hot tub on a few occassions when I
wanted a cold tub more than a hot tub.......it works pretty good too.

I would have to venture with a lots of shade is about the only resort
unless your prepared to spend lots of money for a chiller unit.

Around this paart its not uncommon for high temps either,,.How about a
fine mist of water. I have heard others say a trickle tower has a
chilling effect on water up to a certain point.

Take some temp readings at the top and middle and bottom and you may
be surprised the bottom strata is a lot cooler than you may think.

Around my ponds edges the water this year has been in the mid 90's
down to about 8 or 12 inches, however after that its a big change and
hits the lower 80's, and at about 3 feet or so its in the 70's. I
monitor my water temp from surface to 12 feet just for the heck of it
usuing a bank of remote electronic thermometers and sensors that are
permanently installed. Once I get past 8 or 9 feet the temp stays
rather constant all year round......

More aeraton and shade would be a big help for your pond / fish

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:33:05 -0700, ~ janj JJsPond.us
wrote:

===Take a few milk jugs. Fill with water. Cap and freeze. Put in pond during
===the day. Pond on the rocks. ~ jan
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-06-2005, 03:48 PM
~Roy~

They make what is called Shade sails. They are a heavy duty nylon or
polyproplyene fabric made in the shape of a triangle. They are
supported by using three poles and three stakes in the ground or tied
off to other existing structures and tensioned. The triangle shape,
and outer perimeter cable they have works better in windy condiitons
than a square shape does as it allows any captive air under it to
bleed off quick and not create as much lift and billow up as a square
would. A lot of ponders on another forum speak very highly of them in
giving them the needed shade for their ponds.
A ready made 12 x 12 x 12 foot triangle shade sail is about
$130......and all you need is a means to support it, usuing pipes
wood posts or other structure.

http://www.shadesails.com/newpage11.htm

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-06-2005, 11:53 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

,,.How about a fine mist of water.

Which reminds me. Isn't AZ where they came up with those fine misters above
a patio to keep it cool? Why not above and around the pond? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 26-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Dude

Im not sure how a mister system will keep the pond water temp down? For
us humans the list mist of the water hitting our face feels good. But
since the fish is already completly wet I dont think they can
appreciate it the same way.

Chris

Old 26-06-2005, 04:28 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Im not sure how a mister system will keep the pond water temp down? For
us humans the list mist of the water hitting our face feels good. But
since the fish is already completly wet I dont think they can
appreciate it the same way.

Chris

Don't those things cool the ambient air in the area? So I was just thinking
if the temp is 105F on pavement, and the misters cooled the ambient area
around the pond to 90F, that would be a good thing for the pond? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 27-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Courageous

Don't those things cool the ambient air in the area? So I was just thinking
if the temp is 105F on pavement, and the misters cooled the ambient area
around the pond to 90F, that would be a good thing for the pond? ~ jan

If it's the pond water that's misting, the pond water will be cooled. How
much? Dunno.

C//

Old 27-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Courageous

Im not sure how a mister system will keep the pond water temp down?

Evaporation causes cooling as a side effect. Misting encourages
evaporation. I wouldn't be able to quantify the overall heat effect
here.

C//

Old 28-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Snooze

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message ...
,,.How about a fine mist of water.

Which reminds me. Isn't AZ where they came up with those fine misters above
a patio to keep it cool? Why not above and around the pond? ~ jan

Evaporative coolers work incredibly well in AZ and NM. Last summer I was out in AZ, it was about 110F outside before a rainstorm came in, within minutes the air temp was about 60f. Unfortunately I don't think an evaporative cooler would work well in cooling a pond, not the way you described anyways, the transfer of heat from water to air is not very good, so a lot of water would be wasted for minimal cooling value.

A better solution would be to run the water through some aluminum radiator coils, and to mist water over the radiator coils. Perhaps run a water line through the pond, before going to the sprinkler system, that would help, again minimally.

I think probably the most practical solution would be to cut the tops off of a couple 2 liter soda bottles, fill it with water, then just dump the ice into the pond every morning, which really won't help, assuming my math is correct.

Assuming 4L of ice, in a 90F (32C) 700 gal (2650 L) pond
heat taken up to convert ice to 0c water
4 kg x 334 (kJ.kg-1) = 1336 kJ
heat taken up to convert 0c water to ambient temp
4kg x 4.18 (kJ.kg-1. K-1)x 32 (º K) = 535.04 kJ
kJ absorbed = 1336 + 535 kJ = 1871

temp drop of pond
-1871 kJ = 2650kg x 4.18 (kJ.kg-1. K-1)x N(º K) = .16 ºC or about 3 ºF

Seems to me to be an awful lot of work for such minimal gains.
Old 29-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Courageous

A better solution would be to run the water through some aluminum radiator coils,
and to mist water over the radiator coils. Perhaps run a water line through the pond,=
before going to the sprinkler system, that would help, again minimally.

If those aluminum radiator coils were buried somewhere cool, you'd have a heat
exchanger, and it would be effective. The challenge will be that the ground
gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. So finding that cool spot will be work, and
the digging will be deep.

C//

Old 28-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Greg Cooper

A quick Google on evaporative cooling turned up the following.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...e_coolers.html

It states that evaporative cools in dry atmospher can cool the hot air
by as much as 30 degrees. The plus is that they use much less engery
that a AC unit.

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

Up here in British Columbia I dont have to worry about the pond getting
too hot - especially with the summer we are having.

Old 28-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Greg Cooper wrote:

A quick Google on evaporative cooling turned up the following.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...e_coolers.html

It states that evaporative cools in dry atmospher can cool the hot air
by as much as 30 degrees. The plus is that they use much less engery
that a AC unit.

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

Not necessarily. Any fountain is going to work as an evaporative cooling
mechanism - the finer the spray the more effective (but also, the more
water the pond loses by both evaporation and wind-drift).

If those aluminum radiator coils were buried somewhere cool, you'd have a
heat exchanger, and it would be effective. The challenge will be that the
ground gets pretty hot in AZ in summer. So finding that cool spot will be
work, and the digging will be deep.

Again, that's for a "perfect" solution, but you don't need refrigeration,
just enough cooling to keep the pond at a nice temperature. I don't know
Arizona, but you only need to be down a couple of feet to be significantly
cooler than daytime air. Basically, if you can get the heat exchanger into
any soil that stays under 80F, you should be cooling the water below the
danger zone for your fish.
--
derek
Old 30-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Courageous

It would seem one would need a evaporative cooler to chill air then an
air/water heat exchanger to cool the pond water. It sounds doable.

I saw a recent DIY prototype of an evaporative cooler for an aquarium.
Basically, the guy created a tube into which he dropped water (from the
aqarium) as well as two blowers. Air and water blew down, into the
aquarium, where they bubbled and sloshed. It was very effective at
cooling his aquarium.

C//

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
current pond temp. O3raledale Ponds 11 10-10-2003 02:02 AM