Old 25-06-2005, 10:51 PM
CanadianCowboy

Default Water Hyacinth

Hello all,

my Water Hyacinth is turning brown on the edges. Why is this happening ?
Also, when can I expect the flowers to bloom ?

Many Thanks !!!
Old 26-06-2005, 04:29 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Hello all,

my Water Hyacinth is turning brown on the edges. Why is this happening ?
Also, when can I expect the flowers to bloom ?

Many Thanks !!!

Any salt in the pond? What's the pH? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 26-06-2005, 02:47 PM
CanadianCowboy

Hello,

I am one ponder that has never done any water testing to my pond
so I wouldn't know.

Old 26-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Reel Mckoi

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
Hello all,

my Water Hyacinth is turning brown on the edges. Why is this happening ?
Also, when can I expect the flowers to bloom ?

===============================
Ultra high or low PH, salt and excessive root loss from fish nibbling off
roots can do that I was told. My WH thrive so it's hard to know why yours
are doing that. As for flowering. Again, that's hard to tell. When mine
were blooming my old neighbors WH were not... and visa versa.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso

Old 26-06-2005, 04:21 PM
CanadianCowboy

YES my goldfish nibble at every plant that is submerged. This could be
the problem. I feed them once a day , whatever they consume in 5
minutes. Is this enough ? Getting pretty hot here in Southern Ontario,
believe it or not !

Old 26-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Reel Mckoi

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
YES my goldfish nibble at every plant that is submerged. This could be
the problem. I feed them once a day , whatever they consume in 5
minutes. Is this enough ? Getting pretty hot here in Southern Ontario,
believe it or not !

=============================
Goldfish and koi are browsers that nibble all day long. I don't think you
can stop that behavior. Feeding them more will probably not make a
difference. My GF don't bother the WH roots much. My koi will prune them
off in a day. I feed my fish twice a day now, all they can eat each time,
now that summer is here.

Old 26-06-2005, 08:29 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

CanadianCowboy wrote:

I am one ponder that has never done any water testing to my pond
so I wouldn't know.

tsk, tsk, tsk ;o) Since you don't test the water, I doubt you put any
salt in, right? So that wouldn't be the problem as WH can handle natural
occurring salt in tap water. If it is the fish, you might want to put half
in a tub with a little 10-10-10 for a vacation, till they look better.
Rinse, put in pond and remove the other half or a tubful, which ever
applies, for their spa time. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~