Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Smile Koi food - any recommendations please

Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a brand/type of Koi food?

I have about 20 Koi ranging in size from 2" to 18", I inherited the pond/fish & existing food which I believe is grass based (does that sound right?) and a friend told me that grass based products make your pond green - which makes sense.

I appreciate there are lots of products on the market, but I'd really like some general guidance on Koi food e.g Koi sticks or other alternatives

Also, any help on retailers or web site stores which sell these products would also help!

kind regards,
Richard
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
George

"smileygonzo1961" wrote in
message ...

--
smileygonzo1961

You will find as many diverse opionions on how and what to feed koi as
there are types of koi. Personally, I buy generic pellets in bulk (much
cheaper) and then suppliment their diet with Koi sticks, and ocassional raw
veggies, like peas, and ocassionally, even shrimp (which they like very
much). They are especially fond of an unroasted, unsalted peanuts (which
is what they are fed by the public at Busch Gardens in Florida), and relish
some water plants. Others here may be able to tell you water kind of water
plants they will eat.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
RichToyBox

I have used/use and like Hai Feng, ShoKoi, and others. The spring and
summer staple foods can be fed year round and are generally a wheat germ
based food. The first ingredients should be fish meal, shrimp, or other
high protein foods. Feed no more than they can eat in 5 minutes. You can
feed several times a day, or once every few days, depending on how crowded
the pond is. The more you feed, the more work the filter has to do, so be
sure to test the water for ammonia, nitrites, pH and KH. If you find
ammonia, cut back on feeding for a few days until the filter catches up. If
you find nitrites, then you will need to add some salt to protect the fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:35:41 -0400, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

I have used/use and like Hai Feng, ShoKoi, and others.

Same here.

If one is having water quality issues though, Manda Fu has also proven
(local unscientific test) to be a good feed without compromising water
quality. It is pricey, but the bags are large. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Reel Mckoi

"smileygonzo1961" wrote in
message ...

Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a brand/type of Koi food?

I have about 20 Koi ranging in size from 2" to 18", I inherited the
pond/fish & existing food which I believe is grass based (does that
sound right?) and a friend told me that grass based products make your
pond green - which makes sense.

I appreciate there are lots of products on the market, but I'd really
like some general guidance on Koi food e.g Koi sticks or other
alternatives

Also, any help on retailers or web site stores which sell these
products would also help!

==========================
People are using everything from overpriced special koi feeds to trout and
catfish food with great success. I use catfish food as soon as the koi and
goldfish are large enough to eat it. They get regular koi and GF food until
that point.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Richard,

I personally have used Sho-KOI, until they came out with Sho-Gold for
Goldfish, it is viturally the same food just a smaller size. It is
excellent.

Tom L.L.