Old 06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Speaking of external pumps...........

I have a Sequence 4200SEQ12. Been in service for just over a year.
From day one the plan was to have a backup pump to keep in stock just
in case anything went wrong. Lately, I've noticed my stream starting to
slow down to almost a trickle. Not even enough pressure and flow to
operate the second barrel filter let alone the first. So I ordered the
backup pump. Today, the stream would only give a drip or two. I pulled
the cover off of the pump box and it sounds like it is running fine.
No cavitation sounds. Motor doesn't sound like it is laboring. So I
pull off the strainer to see if it is clogged somewhere where I can't
see. Nope, no clogs. I reach my fingers into the pump inlet pipe.
Nope, feels nice and clear. Okay, so I get a fish tape ( makeshift
snake.) I slowly push it into the inlet, it is only about 2' to the
impeller. Bzzzzzz. I bump into the impeller. So I back it out and
slowly push in again. I can feel the center of the impeller spinning.
I push a little further and buzz it again. Yup, definitely spinning.
So I pull the fish tape out.

I scratch my head. Then I notice water starting to draw just like the
day I first hooked it up?!? What was that all about?? Well, water is
flowing again, both barrels filtering, waterfall splashing away. I
wonder if the impeller is somewhat loose? Well, in two days the backup
pump should arrive. I'll install it and pull the old one to inspect,
refurbish and put up on the shelf. Any thoughts??

BTW, I'm just about to call this project officially done! Just a few
more details. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond9.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
RichToyBox

From what you describe, I would say leaves or string algae was obstructing
the impeller fins. I have had this happen with an Oase submersible a
number of times and pushing my finger nail against the intake of the
impeller gets it going again. I have not experienced this problem with my
Sezuence pumps.
--
RichToyBox

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
I have a Sequence 4200SEQ12. Been in service for just over a year. From
day one the plan was to have a backup pump to keep in stock just in case

Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Roy

Sounds like it had something in and around the impeller......either a
pump works or it does not work......if ther impeller is good, and it
does not leak and the motor is turning, it has to be an obstruction or
other problem somewhere.....

I have had some long leaf pine straw wrap around an impeller already.
I ould syphon water and have it flow faster than the water coming out
of the pump......

I routinely clean my plumbing and pump with PP and a good backflush.
Even a buildup of algae and slime inside pipes, pump wet end etc will
reduce flow.

"The original frugal ponder"

External pumps and priming pots Wilmdale Ponds 6 06-06-2005 03:09 PM
External pumps and priming pots ReelMcKoi Gardening 0 06-06-2005 03:04 AM
External pumps Roy Ponds 2 07-09-2004 03:07 AM
External pumps W Dale Ponds 5 07-09-2004 03:07 AM
external pond pumps keith Alexander United Kingdom 1 28-08-2004 05:09 AM