Old 19-07-2005, 08:08 PM
uvdoc

Default still green water

ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year I
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

Old 19-07-2005, 08:19 PM
George

"uvdoc" wrote in message
nk.net...
ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last
year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

Add aquazyme according to instructions. Have patience. What are your water
parameters.

Old 19-07-2005, 08:29 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:08:07 GMT, "uvdoc" wrote:

ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year I
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

What's your fish to gallons ratio? How many fish, how many gallons total,
and what is the rest of your filtration? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 19-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Gareee©

"uvdoc" wrote in message
nk.net...
ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

Muffin's water lettuce cured my green pond ills in less then a week. I can
see the bottom now for the 1st time this year, and supposedly it was
overgrowing, Muffin's pond.. maybe see if more is available?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 19-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Ron in Radio Heaven

ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year I
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

Get rid of the UV light and get a veggie filter.
No more green water.

Ron

Old 19-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Gareee©

"Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote in message
om...
ok I have changed the uv light bulb have lots and lots of plants last
year
had no problem with green water after adding tetra uv light but this year
cant get rid of it any more suggestions

Get rid of the UV light and get a veggie filter.
No more green water.

While that's a great recommendation, the problem for many of us, is that the
plants for the veggie filter are just not readily available.

The only source I've had for water lettuce and water hyacinth has been the
kindness of people here in the group. The local stores simply either have
very poor stock, or none at all.
(My local lowe's had only 2 shipments of pond plants.. one was excellent,
and I scored a great lilly, that's doing very well, and 2 great iris
plants.)

The second shipment they got was a disaster in the making. they had the
palette still wrapped coming off the truck, and the containers literally had
*no* water in them at all! I told one of the people unloading them that they
were all dying, and needed to be filled with water.

No one did, and 2 days later, they literally tossed the entire shipment, and
told me they were not reordering for the season.

I've been really trying NOT to buy or use a UV filter, preferring natural
options if possible, but I again literally could not get rid of greenwater
this year until Muffin sent me a box of water lettuce, and in less then a
week's time, it cleared my water right up. I can actually see the rocks on
the bottom for the first time this year.

I *hope* to save some water lettuce in the house in a tub, along with an
elephant ear, so I have some stock for next year.

But waiting till mid summer before being able to get enouggh pond plants at
a reasonable rate really does make me possibly lean towards the UV option in
the future.

Old 19-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
at all.
(My local lowe's had only 2 shipments of pond plants.. one was excellent,
and I scored a great lilly, that's doing very well, and 2 great iris
plants.)

=========================
I'm sure you already thought of this but - why not check out the Lowe's and
other stores known to carry pond plants in nearby towns and cities? I have
no less than 8 Home Depots and Lowe's stores within an hours drive of my
home. That's not including several pond stores and aquarium stores that
carry pond plants in the spring. Take a day off and spend it hunting down
places that sell pond plants and supplies. Some flea markets are also
selling them now........
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 20-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Courageous

The only source I've had for water lettuce and water hyacinth has been the
kindness of people here in the group.

Ebay?

C//

Old 20-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Gareee©

"Courageous" wrote in message

The only source I've had for water lettuce and water hyacinth has been the
kindness of people here in the group.

Ebay?

Yeah there's ebay and online stores, but you never know what you are
getting, or if it'll even live.

I've ordered from 2 online plant stores, and in both cases, over 75% of the
plants they sent died, and need to be replaced. They were both good about
replacing them, but again, half of what they sent died again anyway.

Direct Gardening was one, and the other was Michigan Bulb, very large
popular dealers.

I got more living plants from Muffin ast week then dealing with both those
places, and then going through the hassle or getting them to honor their
guarentees.

And after dealing with that mess with BOTH places, UV solutions are mighty
tempting.

Course for now, my pond is algae free, so I don't have anything to worry
about for a little while..

Old 20-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Direct Gardening was one, and the other was Michigan Bulb, very large
popular dealers.

==================
You need to check the reputation of Michigan Bulb Co. I wouldn't order
compost from them. I don't know how they get away with it.........

Old 20-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Courageous

I've ordered from 2 online plant stores, and in both cases, over 75% of the
plants they sent died, and need to be replaced.

I'm curious. How do they ship them?

Anyway, I appreciate that it's difficult.

If it were me, I'd order based on survival odds. At your odds
the price of four equals the price you are paying to get one.
If the price doesn't justify that, then it doesn't.

You might Google for your State's invasive species list. Once
you've found it, you may find a plant that will thrive in your
area. Toss up to it being pretty, of course.

C//

Old 20-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Gareee©

"Courageous" wrote in message

I've ordered from 2 online plant stores, and in both cases, over 75% of
the
plants they sent died, and need to be replaced.

I'm curious. How do they ship them?

In most cases, what they call "bare root". In a nutshell, the plant is
shipped with plastic wrapped around it's wet bare roots, and sometimes paper
towel like stuff that's wet around them.

Muffin's water lettuce literally was shipped the same way.. there was leaf
loss, and many leaves were separated from the main plants, but most of them
seem to be rooting themselves now, and plenty survived the trip.

Anyway, I appreciate that it's difficult.

If it were me, I'd order based on survival odds. At your odds
the price of four equals the price you are paying to get one.
If the price doesn't justify that, then it doesn't.

Yep.. and then you also have to figure how long it'll take for enough plants
to grow to make a difference. Last year, I was shipped WH from someone in
the group.. it grew, but never really took off enough to make a dent in the
green water at all.

(It was growing like gangbuster in her pond.)
That's why I'm amazed that the Water lettuce is doing the job it is doing.

You might Google for your State's invasive species list. Once
you've found it, you may find a plant that will thrive in your
area. Toss up to it being pretty, of course.

Well, the lettuce is taking care of my needs for now. I plan to move some
indoors and attempt to overwinter it, alond with a decent sized elephant
ear. Hopefully, between the both of them, the lillies and the iris in the
pond, next year will go better.

Old 20-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Reel Mckoi

Courageous wrote:
The only source I've had for water lettuce and water hyacinth has been the
kindness of people here in the group.

Ebay?

C//

I saw all of your usenet postings in the sex groups. I see you are
worried about low sperm count. Is this why you gave up sex, and
dedicated your life to ponds now?
Old 20-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Courageous

I saw all of your usenet postings in the sex groups. I see you are
worried about low sperm count. Is this why you gave up sex, and
dedicated your life to ponds now?

Pathetic.

C//

Old 20-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

I saw all of your usenet postings in the sex groups. I see you are
worried about low sperm count. Is this why you gave up sex, and
dedicated your life to ponds now?

Pathetic.

C//

He will do anything for attention. It is pathetic. He used to use my old
name (Usenet NYM) and real e-mail address to post to sex groups and sex
sites on the Internet. He's a very sick, sex obsessed fanatic.