Old 20-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Reel McKoi

Default snake in pond.

"Gary John" wrote in message
Hi all, hope i am in the right group as i have a outdoor pond.

$$ There is a pond group called rec.ponds.

My worry is that tonight, I have noticed a snake in the pond. Is this
anything to worry about and will it be of concern to my goldfish.

$$ Yes. All water snakes will eat fish small enough for them to swallow. I
know from experience. :-(

I live in the south west of England.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 20-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Gary John

Hi group,

I have been recommended to post here from a fellow member.
I have a goldfish pond in the back garden here in the south west of England
and found a long snake in there last night.
Will this scare or harm my goldfish and, if so, what can I do about it
please?

Old 20-07-2005, 08:10 AM
2pods

"Gary John" wrote in message
Hi group,

I have been recommended to post here from a fellow member.
I have a goldfish pond in the back garden here in the south west of
England and found a long snake in there last night.
Will this scare or harm my goldfish and, if so, what can I do about it
please?

Sounds like like a Grass snake. Is it green ?
If so, they eat frogs and toads and fish.
Adders (or Vipers) which are poisonous are shorter and fatter, and have
black markings.
If you're not sure seek help

Peter

Old 20-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Gary John

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The snake is silver/yellow has black hoops and is
quite long, approx 12/14 inches, any ideas - Where do I "seek help"
Thanks
Gary

Old 20-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Gill Passman

"2pods" wrote in message

"Gary John" wrote in message
Hi group,

I have been recommended to post here from a fellow member.
I have a goldfish pond in the back garden here in the south west of
England and found a long snake in there last night.
Will this scare or harm my goldfish and, if so, what can I do about it
please?

Sounds like like a Grass snake. Is it green ?
If so, they eat frogs and toads and fish.
Adders (or Vipers) which are poisonous are shorter and fatter, and have
black markings.
If you're not sure seek help

Peter

Certainly doesn't sound idigenous to the UK....I'd suggest calling the RSPCA
or a local zoo....sounds like an escapee

Gill

Old 20-07-2005, 02:47 PM
2pods

"Gary John" wrote in message
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The snake is silver/yellow has black hoops and is
quite long, approx 12/14 inches, any ideas - Where do I "seek help"
Thanks
Gary

I'd try RSPCA, or local vet.
What I meant was for you to get help, as I wouldn't want you bitten :-)
Might be worse, could have been a very large spider shudder

Peter

Old 20-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gary John" wrote in message
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The snake is silver/yellow has black hoops and is
quite long, approx 12/14 inches, any ideas - Where do I "seek help"
Thanks
Gary

======================
Don't you have a wildlife service there in England? What about calling
your local zoo for recommendations?

Old 20-07-2005, 04:27 PM
John Maddock

In article ,
"Gary John" writes:
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The snake is silver/yellow has black hoops and is
quite long, approx 12/14 inches, any ideas - Where do I "seek help"
Thanks
Gary

You could try http://www.petsnakes.co.uk/ - you might find it in the
photo galleries. There's also a mail address for questions.

John.
Old 20-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Maxx Pollare" wrote in message
.. .
A fat Koi named "Gary John" jumped up from his pond and laid on me
the following lesserwords of wisdom...

Peter, Thanks for the reply. The snake is silver/yellow has black
hoops and is quite long, approx 12/14 inches, any ideas - Where do
I "seek help" Thanks

I'm still not sure...
Prehaps if it was discribed diffrently:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...rn.htm#stripes

Then we could try to look it up. };8)

========================
We get snakes here called black racers that are over 5' long. Some people
call them chicken snakes. The only ones we haven't seen in our ponds are
those small green garden snakes. Most of the snakes we see are well over
24" in length. Unfortunately by the time I go inside for the book to
identify them, I can't remember exactly what marking they had. :-(

Old 20-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Maxx Pollare" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...rn.htm#stripes

=================
The ones we have have mainly blotches and diamonds, except for the large
black racers.

Old 21-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Geezer From The Freezer

Get the snake out and take it to the nearest river.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Martin

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
Get the snake out and take it to the nearest river.

really bad advice, this could well be illegal. The RSPCA will come out
and take care of it for you.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Geezer From The Freezer

Martin wrote:

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
Get the snake out and take it to the nearest river.

really bad advice, this could well be illegal. The RSPCA will come out
and take care of it for you.

Why would it be illegal? Would it be illegal taking frogs that have found
their way to a pond back to where they originated?

You may be right. I honestly don't know if its illegal or not?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Gareee©

"Martin" wrote in message
Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
Get the snake out and take it to the nearest river.

really bad advice, this could well be illegal. The RSPCA will come out and
take care of it for you.

Actually, this is exactly what our local animal control people told us. If a
snake is NOT poisonous and a threat, they will not come and remove it, but
they told us to catch him, and relocate him into a nearby stream or lake.

If it is a animal not native to the area, I can see that being an issue, but
if it something native to the area, and not a threat, then I don't see an
issue at all.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Martin

Martin wrote:

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:

Get the snake out and take it to the nearest river.

really bad advice, this could well be illegal. The RSPCA will come out
and take care of it for you.

Why would it be illegal? Would it be illegal taking frogs that have found
their way to a pond back to where they originated?

You may be right. I honestly don't know if its illegal or not?

The snake was not identified (could have been a grass snake with a bit
of imagination) the release of non-native wild animals into the wild is
illegal (Wildlife & Countryside Act). Same goes for some frogs which are
imports, some shrimps, assorted escaped exotics, some exotic fish.

Infact it's strongly recomended never to release any wild animal back
into the countryside because of the possible transmission of disease.

"The Act also makes it an offence to deliberately release any non-native
species into the wild. This includes releasing any of the non-native
species already established in the wild in the UK.

A number of species are listed in a schedule to the act as being
established in the wild. Release of these species is an offence in the
same way as release of any other alien species. These taxa a....."

http://www.threadnaught.net/~caleb/uklaw.html

including your frogs/toads

Midwife toad Alytes obstetricans
European tree frog Hyla arborea
Marsh frog Rana ridibunda
Edible frog Rana esculenta
African clawed toadXenopus laevis
Yellow-bellied toad Bombina variegata

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Snake in my pond. pixi Ponds 19 03-08-2004 02:48 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM