Old 20-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Reel Mckoi

Default Peas, frozen or canned...

Is anyone still feeding their GF and koi peas? There was a lot of talk
about feeding peas a few years back. I picked up a can and tried to feed
them to my fish. Only the rosy red minnows and fry would eat them. The
adult GF and koi weren't much interested. The minnows and fry left the pea
skins behind. Somehow I don't think I'll be buying them more peas.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 21-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Bill Stock

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message
Is anyone still feeding their GF and koi peas? There was a lot of talk
about feeding peas a few years back. I picked up a can and tried to feed
them to my fish. Only the rosy red minnows and fry would eat them. The
adult GF and koi weren't much interested. The minnows and fry left the
pea
skins behind. Somehow I don't think I'll be buying them more peas.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

My GF loved frozen peas, skinned of course. It's easier to skin frozen peas
too, although I'm not sure you'd have to skin a canned pea.

Old 21-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message
Is anyone still feeding their GF and koi peas? There was a lot of talk
about feeding peas a few years back. I picked up a can and tried to

feed
them to my fish. Only the rosy red minnows and fry would eat them. The
adult GF and koi weren't much interested. The minnows and fry left the
pea
skins behind. Somehow I don't think I'll be buying them more peas.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

My GF loved frozen peas, skinned of course. It's easier to skin frozen

peas
too, although I'm not sure you'd have to skin a canned pea.

======================
Yes, the canned peas have to be skinned for the smaller fish. The few koi
and adult GF that ate them, ate them whole. I have too many young small
fish to take the time to skin so many peas.

I've been soaking the adult's pellets until softened. They eat those like
crazy!

Old 21-07-2005, 02:54 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

My GF loved frozen peas, skinned of course. It's easier to skin frozen peas
too, although I'm not sure you'd have to skin a canned pea.

I use frozen but thawed peas for the koi, whole. I know there was some
controversy regarding piercing the pea before feeding, but I figure if they
can eat a snail shell they can sure crunch a pea.

For the GF I take slightly thawed frozen peas and run them thru the
chopper/food processor. Do a bunch and store frozen. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 21-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Reel Mckoi

"fondoo" wrote in message
why not use fresh pea's??

=========================
I can't buy them here. All I can find are canned or frozen.

Old 21-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Tom L. La Bron

If you are going to feed peas, any variety is fine. Processed peas, whether
canned or forzen have been cooked a little bit which is good. If you are
going to feed fresh peas you need to put them on a shallow plate and zap
them in the microwave until that just start to steam a little bit. This is
to break down plant fibers so they are more digestable by the fish. Don't
cook them too much are you just ruining the nutrient value of the peas.

HTH

Tom L.L.
"fondoo" wrote in message
why not use fresh pea's??