Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Default Loving Memory Rose

Our son was killed in a car accident and I want to put his ashes in a pot with a rose called Loving Memory, the reason being if we move then we can take the plant and pot with us there fore our son will be with us where ever we move to.
Problem is we have read and been told roses are very difficult to keep and grow in pots but we still want this one rose in a pot for the reasons above, any advise as we want this one plant to flourish.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Tim Tompkins

My sympathy for your loss and kudos for remembering your son with a rose.

Roses are difficult to maintain in containers, just difficult NOT
impossible!

The container size MUST be selected to match the mature requirements to the
variety. Bigger is most always better. Your climate (UK) is fairly
moderate, however freezing weather must be considered and thus the container
will probably need to be portable to protect the rose in severe weather.

The ashes are a problem, they are very alkaline and will
raise the pH of the soil, NOT a desirable condition in most situations. May
I suggest that you keep the ashes in a seperate container, perhaps placing
it on the surface of the soil with a permanant marker dedicating the rose as
a memorial to your son?

Tim

--
grit546

Plant memory Davisons Trull Plant Science 29 25-08-2004 01:54 AM
memory Jog fuerjefe Ponds 8 15-02-2004 02:37 AM
looking for Fragrant Memory Tom Sherwood Roses 1 24-12-2003 04:44 PM
A memory of spring, and a time to rejoice for just being here madgard Gardening 2 10-03-2003 10:32 PM
Sommat I've Seen - Memory help needed Alison United Kingdom 3 04-03-2003 05:17 PM