Old 30-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Les

Default Crown gall on my roses.

I have crown gall in my rose bed. I have removed all roses and fumigated
with basamid soil sterilizer. But only incorporated it to a tilling depth of
6-8 inches.

Specifically I am wondering how long before the area can be replanted again
with roses?

Are there any professionals here or gardeners who have experienced crown
gall?

Thanks,
Les
--
My address has an unnecessary 'E'.
-----

Old 30-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Radika Kesavan

Les wrote:
I have crown gall in my rose bed. I have removed all roses and fumigated
with basamid soil sterilizer. But only incorporated it to a tilling depth of
6-8 inches.

Specifically I am wondering how long before the area can be replanted again
with roses?

Are there any professionals here or gardeners who have experienced crown
gall?

Les,

I am not a professional gardener, but out of interest, had done some
reading on Crown Gall, since I am simply interested in Agrobacterium
tumefaciens, which causes the disease. I found this advice given by a
Michigan horticulturist quite interesting - perhaps you will find this
useful and may be you can contact him directly if you wanted further
details:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modc3/41597003.html

That material is sort of dated, being nearly six years old now.

This other paper from University of Edinburgh gives much more
information about A. tumefaciens, and they too mention Galltrol as the
Bio-Control agent as the MSU gentleman does:
http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/crown.htm

It seems that we have our Australian Bretheren to thank for the
invention of Galltrol.

--
Radika
California