Old 04-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Shiva

Default A-A-A- APHIDS!! And Buds!

. . . . and the first touches on blackspot. Isn't it April 3rd? I went out
to water everybody prior to the first spray of the season, and the little
bahstahds were lined up along nearly every bud. I had a Squish 'N Squirt
fest--running my fingers up the stems and squishing, then giving the plant
a hard fine spray of water. As for the bs, there isn't much.

Budding as we speak: Granada, Nicole, Jude the Obscure, Lover's Lane,
Mutabilis, Tiffany, White Lightnin', George Burns, Sunsprite, All That
Jazz, Margaret Merrill, Karl Herbst, Reines des Violettes, Don Juan,
Sombrueil, Great Century, Angel Face, Paloma, Tamora, Full Sail, and
Scentimental--and one I cannot remember what it is. (I have never marked
my roses, though I have several kinds of stakes and such in storage.)

Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Jane

Shiva you are a formidable opponent to the aphid world! Do you know any
ladybugs who might be able to come for the all-u-can-eat buffet?
I'm sure your roses will be gorgeous! I can't believe you have so many
buds!!!!! I'm excited for you!
And a tad envious....I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Enjoy the goodies!
Jane
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.877085d873fe17d96680c9559d7b6abe @1049410555.cotse.net...

Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Emil

"Shiva" wrote in message
Budding as we speak: Granada, Nicole, Jude the Obscure, Lover's Lane,
my roses, though I have several kinds of stakes and such in storage.)

Hi Shiva,

How is Lovers Lane working for you? I have one, but I am NOT happy at all
with it.

Emil

Old 04-04-2003, 07:44 PM
torgo

Shiva - how well do you like the Margaret Merrill? That one is on
the "maybe" section of the shopping list.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:13:16 -0800, "Emil"
wrote:

Hi Shiva,

How is Lovers Lane working for you? I have one, but I am NOT happy at all
with it.

It is a beautiful rose, bloom wise. The plant is reasonably vigorous,
but it is only in its first year, so has not had time to prove itself.
Mine is in full sun in a rich bed, and gets two deep soakings a week,
rain or shine.

Emil

Old 04-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Shiva

Jane wrote:

Shiva you are a formidable opponent to the aphid world!

But nooo, apparently not! Went out this morning and the young stems and
buds were THICK with them. When I came in my fingers were all green, eyuuu/

Do you know any
ladybugs who might be able to come for the all-u-can-eat buffet?

They are munching away! Makes me happy I have not sprayed yet. Oddly
enough, I have ladybugs all year long, but I am sure my spray program
kills some of them. It's a tough balancing act. I cannot imagine they like
fungicide much more than systemic insecticide.

I'm sure your roses will be gorgeous! I can't believe you have so many
buds!!!!! I'm excited for you!

Thanks, Jane. I am a bit envious of you up there because you have such a
long, wonderful spring compared to us, and your summers are not very hot.
I love Maryland in the spring.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.877085d873fe17d96680c9559d7b6abe@104 9410555.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
. . . and the first touches on blackspot. Isn't it April 3rd? I went
out to water everybody prior to the first spray of the season, and
the little bahstahds were lined up along nearly every bud. I had a
Squish 'N Squirt fest--running my fingers up the stems and squishing,
then giving the plant a hard fine spray of water.

Fine, but the unseen colonies will multiply and come back to bite your
roses (literally!). At this point I'd be wiping them out systemically
so spraying can be minimised later. Shake or hose the ladybirds off
before applying.

Budding as we speak: Granada, Nicole, Jude the Obscure, Lover's Lane,
Mutabilis, Tiffany, White Lightnin', George Burns, Sunsprite, All That
Jazz, Margaret Merrill, Karl Herbst, Reines des Violettes, Don Juan,
Sombrueil, Great Century, Angel Face, Paloma, Tamora, Full Sail, and
Scentimental

Great to hear Shiva.... White Lightnin' was my first to bloom this
season. Both it and Voodoo were very early starters. Did you get
Voodoo this year?
Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Shiva

On 07 Apr 2003 20:44:26 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

Fine, but the unseen colonies will multiply and come back to bite your
roses (literally!). At this point I'd be wiping them out systemically
so spraying can be minimised later. Shake or hose the ladybirds off
before applying.

They jumped ship when they saw me coming, no kidding! I had a hard
time deciding what to use. I kept looking at Daconil and Cygon,
thinking, hmmm, I really ought to spray with both but I only have
today, then I'm swamped for at least ten days. In the end I used
Immunox Plus because I am out of Orthenex. I wonder if you can mix the
first two, do you know?

Great to hear Shiva.... White Lightnin' was my first to bloom this
season.

Daniel, you are the one who convinced me to buy this rose! It is now
my very favorite white. I am trying Crystalline this year, but I am
not sure it has scent, and if not, it cannot even touch White
lightnin' Thanks again!

Both it and Voodoo were very early starters. Did you get
Voodoo this year?

Shhhh! I plan to get it potted when nobody is looking! I just over
spent on bare roots, you know.

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
Aphids, black spot, and mulch, etc. jammer Roses 19 29-04-2003 05:32 AM
Margaret Merrill, was A-A-A- APHIDS!! And Buds! Shiva Roses 0 04-04-2003 09:20 PM