Old 23-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Marian

Default Dame de coeur

Rozenkenners.

Ik heb een perkje Dame de Coeur-rozen. Wie kan mij vertellen hoe hoog deze
rozen worden en hoe en wanneer ik ze het beste kan snoeien.
Ben zelf nogal leek op rozengebied.

Groeten: Marian

Old 22-03-2003, 10:44 PM
antis

Hallo Marian.
De Dama de Coeur wordt ongeveer 0.90 cm hoog. Snoeien kan als elke
andere struikroos op ongeveer 3 ogen of +/- 20cm.
Dat snoeien kan NU, in Maart.

Als je meer vragen in deze nieuwsgroep stelt, doe dat dan in het engels,
dit een engelse nieuwsgroep is.Dan krijg je meer en sneller antwoord.

Groet, Rien

Old 22-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Allegra

"antis" wrote in message
Hallo Marian.
De Dama de Coeur wordt ongeveer 0.90 cm hoog. Snoeien kan als elke
andere struikroos op ongeveer 3 ogen of +/- 20cm.
Dat snoeien kan NU, in Maart.

Als je meer vragen in deze nieuwsgroep stelt, doe dat dan in het engels,
dit een engelse nieuwsgroep is.Dan krijg je meer en sneller antwoord.

Groet, Rien

Hello Rien,

Thank you for telling "antis" about this being an English
speaking group. My knowledge of Dutch is so limited
that I could not find the way to answer her question
about the expected growth or when to prune it.

So thank you again, I hate the idea of someone asking
for help with roses and neither one of us being able to
answer or direct them towards the right information.
Now, when is the world going to learn Esperanto ;) ?

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Rosa Rosam

Hello,
With respect, where is it said this is an English speaking only group?

I though REC was general. And however the others are by country (US, UK,
etc...), not by language.
It it was the case some coutries would be in trouble.. Belgium or
Switzerland for example.
I realise almost everybody in the group is from english speaking countries,
but it's not a reason to have narrow minds, isn't it.
Friendly,

Jocelen.

"Allegra" wrote in message
.net...

Old 24-03-2003, 01:32 AM
JimS.

I don't think Allegra's point is that this is an EXCLUSIVELY
English-speaking group (we all know that Allegra is way too tasteful and
ladylike to say anything so tacky!). That seems pretty apparant (at least
to me) in her second paragraph.

She just meant that she can't speak Dutch, and she was glad that Rien can.
This newsgroups PREDOMINANT language is English, that's all.

I can only speak for myself, but I certainly don't mind if non-English
speakers post in here...but like Allegra, I hope they won't feel bad if
nobody can answer due to our limited knowledge of their language(s).

JimS.
Seattle

"Rosa Rosam" wrote in message news:3e7e5f98$1@news...
Hello,
With respect, where is it said this is an English speaking only group?

I though REC was general. And however the others are by country (US, UK,
etc...), not by language.
It it was the case some coutries would be in trouble.. Belgium or
Switzerland for example.
I realise almost everybody in the group is from english speaking

countries,
but it's not a reason to have narrow minds, isn't it.
Friendly,

Jocelen.

"Allegra" wrote in message
.net...

Old 24-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Allegra

"JimS." wrote in message
I don't think Allegra's point is that this is an EXCLUSIVELY
English-speaking group (we all know that Allegra is way too tasteful and
ladylike to say anything so tacky!). That seems pretty apparant (at least
to me) in her second paragraph.

She just meant that she can't speak Dutch, and she was glad that Rien can.
This newsgroups PREDOMINANT language is English, that's all.

I can only speak for myself, but I certainly don't mind if non-English
speakers post in here...but like Allegra, I hope they won't feel bad if
nobody can answer due to our limited knowledge of their language(s).

JimS.
Seattle

Hello Jim dear,

Easier to pass judgment than to read with an open mind
I guess. But thank you for your kind words, I really felt
bad about not being able to help someone who was
asking how tall it would get and when to prune it.
Just to put x cm and March or April would have been
dumb, since I honestly didn't even know where the person
was. So I was hoping for someone to come to the rescue
and I was only to happy to encourage with a thank you
the person who did. Lets leave it at this. It would have
being "friendly" as in the signature of the person who
wrote the above if he would have extended me the courtesy
of asking what I meant if that would have been of any
importance at all. But I guess, as I said that to some
people it is easier to pass judgment than to ask the meaning
of something.

How are your roses doing? Mine are begin to stretch!
Some little buds all over, and if the weather cooperates
I will transplant tomorrow several cuttings from last fall
that have some real fatty roots and green growth and
try to put last fall's bands that were put on gallon pots
into the Leonard's bathtubs. I am breaking into hives
just of sheer impatience. How has the weather been
up there up the street from me where you are?

And thank you again, you are a gentleman and I am
grateful that at least someone recognized a kind word
to others without any other "hidden" meaning,

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Allegra

"Rosa Rosam" wrote in message news:3e7e5f98$1@news...
Hello,
With respect, where is it said this is an English speaking only group?

I though REC was general. And however the others are by country (US, UK,
etc...), not by language.
It it was the case some coutries would be in trouble.. Belgium or
Switzerland for example.
I realise almost everybody in the group is from english speaking

countries,
but it's not a reason to have narrow minds, isn't it.
Friendly,

Jocelen.

I am sorry you chose to misinterpret my thank you note
to Rien. I have felt bad ever since the person who wrote
originally posted the message because although I could
somehow understand the question I do not have the
command of the language to answer something coherent.

I am extremely grateful to anyone who speaks other
languages than the ones I speak because I have never
hesitated in any group to answer in their native language
when I can -and to add out of respect for my upbringing-
an English translation as a common courtesy to those
reading the post. Your choice of seeing this as something
else surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't.

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Rosa Rosam

Oh Dear...
I have to apology if I have been rude or made you feel bad.
It was not my intention at all...
Sorry about that.

Jocelen.

Old 24-03-2003, 04:20 AM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message
[...]

Main bien sur, Allegra, que vous etes une gentilefemme aussi, and anyone who
knows you wouldn't have misunderstood you. But I can see how it could have
seemed that way. Nevertheless, bring on the postings in whatever language!
We'll do our best to help anyone-- with any luck our mis-translations won't
cause too much damage from "friendly fire", to use an expression from
current events...!

With the exception of your hailstorms, we're still tracking the same
weather. My basement sump pump still churns several times a day. The sun
briefly peaked out this afternoon (about 30 minutes!), so I spent a few
minutes picking some more of the *$%@# wax off my cheap Certified Roses
bagged ones from Lowes. Most are doing OK but the few places I missed the
wax before are rotting and dieing as surely as the day is wet. Had to clip
off a few dead and rotted twigs, but otherwise they're doing ok. Everything
is thriving pretty much, and my Don Juan and Joseph's Coat are both fully
leafed out. I have high hopes for both of them, this sophomore year. The
only one that continues to be a disappointment is my ILPPoS, and she's not
long for it (I keep swearing, but still she lives....don't know why I let
her...).

Waiting for my Iceberg to really take off, but the bud eyes are finally
beginning to open. Even my hokey little rose tree is doing great....the
duplex one, the bottom is Iceberg and the top is Today. What a Frankenstein
creation this thing is, but it might be fun when it really starts to cook.

I think it'll be you and me bring in last place for the "first bloom"
contest this year!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 24-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Allegra

"Rosa Rosam" wrote in message news:3e7e8adf@news...
Oh Dear...
I have to apology if I have been rude or made you feel bad.
It was not my intention at all...
Sorry about that.

Jocelen.

Apologies accepted because indeed I felt rather bad
about someone criticizing what I echoed from the
original poster, who suggested to the person who asked
the question in his answer that "this is an English speaking
group so if you want to have an answer to your question
you will have to ask in English".

Lets forget about it. On with the roses and thank you
for the apology,

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Shiva

Rosa Rosam wrote:

Oh Dear...
I have to apology if I have been rude or made you feel bad.
It was not my intention at all...
Sorry about that.

Nonsense! You have nothing to apologize for. I reacted much the same as
you did to the statement that "this is an English speaking newsgroup." I
agree with Jim that it was almost certainly just an unfortunate (and
terribly inaccurate) turn of phrase for Allegra--she cannot have meant
what she said. Still, the clarification was needed. Thanks for making it.
This group is whatever it wants to be. I'd love to have lots of
International participation, as would most others here. My curiosity might
force me to learn more languages!

Jocelen.

Old 24-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Allegra

"Shiva" without reading the original phrase correctly,
decided :

Nonsense! You have nothing to apologize for. I reacted much the same as
you did to the statement that "this is an English speaking newsgroup." I
agree with Jim that it was almost certainly just an unfortunate (and
terribly inaccurate) turn of phrase for Allegra--she cannot have meant
what she said. Still, the clarification was needed. Thanks for making it.
This group is whatever it wants to be. I'd love to have lots of
International participation, as would most others here. My curiosity might
force me to learn more languages!

Allegra didn't turn the phrase. The phrase was written by
Rien who recommended -in Dutch, for the person to remember
to ask in English - something I thank him for since I was willing
to help but I didn't know how to do it in Dutch.

Thank you for telling "antis" about this being an English
speaking group. My knowledge of Dutch is so limited
that I could not find the way to answer her question
about the expected growth or when to prune it.

Since you don't speak Dutch you may as well go to
Google and find how to translate the original message
by Rien, from where the quote came.

" Hallo Marian.

--De Dama de Coeur wordt ongeveer 0.90 cm hoog. Snoeien kan als elke
andere struikroos op ongeveer 3 ogen of +/- 20cm.
Dat snoeien kan NU, in Maart.--

*Als je meer vragen in deze nieuwsgroep stelt, doe dat dan in het engels,
dit een engelse nieuwsgroep is.Dan krijg je meer en sneller antwoord.*

Groet, Rien"

Which roughly translated means:

*If you ask more questions in this newsgroup, do that then in English,
this an English speaking newsgroup and if you do so then it gets you more
and faster answers*

I guess it pays to read the entire content of something
- and understand it - before we appoint ourselves to the grand jury...

Allegra

Old 24-03-2003, 03:08 PM
antis

Since you don't speak Dutch you may as well go to
Google and find how to translate the original message
by Rien, from where the quote came.

Which roughly translated means:

*If you ask more questions in this newsgroup, do that then in English,
this an English speaking newsgroup and if you do so then it gets you more
and faster answers*

I guess it pays to read the entire content of something
- and understand it - before we appoint ourselves to the grand jury...

Allegra

Thanks Allegra.
You understand very wel what i meant to say.
The way you speak Dutch,is the same way I speak Englisch.
I do understand the mening of the messages but i am not always able to
answer.

Greatings, Rien. (The Netherlands)

(and yes, i have a dictionary next to me!!!!)

Old 24-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Allegra

"antis" wrote in message

[...]

When you speak a couple of languages as I do and have
traveled around the world a couple of times as I have,
the first thing you learn to do is to read with your heart
and then with your eyes. It may be naive and old fashioned,
but I come from an era of gentility and respect for others
that demands that I act that way. I would have never for
a second suspected you of a prejudiced or jingoist answer,
I knew you were trying to help someone and had to do so
with very limited options.

You are most welcome, and once again thank you for
explaining to Marian that it wasn't that -I, for instance-
was ignoring her request for help, it was that I didn't
know even with the dictionary how to ask her where
she was or tell her how to take care of the Queen of Hearts
without confusing the heck out of her.

How are your roses doing? Best wishes for them
and you from a surprisingly dry day in Portland,
Oregon

Allegra

Old 25-03-2003, 11:20 PM
hels

Allegra

I am Dutch

as Marianne and Rien are

apparently

I answered Mriannes question already in private (and in Dutch) as Shiva
doesn't want me to appear here as she believes this is "her" newsgroup....

Just to let you know...

Guido

"Allegra" schreef in bericht
news