Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
R & L Porter

Default Top ten uses for discarded rose canes

While pruning yesterday I accumulated 2 large garbage
cans full of nasty, sharp and treacherous looking
canes. I began to think of silly uses for these
canes. Here is my top ten.............

10. Art -- creative wreaths, sculptures, etc. Think of
all of the ugly art you have seen and remember that
beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

9. Rope -- tie the longer canes end on end and
presto! a rope for people with a wicked side.

8. Clothesline -- similar to above. On the up side
you won't need clothespins. On the down side
your clothes may be snagged or torn.

7. Fuel -- c'mon there must be a way to harness
the energy inside a heap of rose canes. Considering
the amount of chemicals some rosarians use there must
be enough residue on those canes to fuel a small
pick-up (for hauling new roses).

6. Whip -- 'nough said.

5. Bonfire -- light it up, snap open a beer and toast
a few marshmallows. Watch out for snapping, flying
thorns.

4. Rose thorn tea -- grind 'em up and add milk
or sugar. Goes great with pancakes.

3. Cat deterrence -- okay so this one may be tedious,
and I know that cats and rosarians have this
special sort of relationship (as in creepy), but if one
could pick off each thorn from each cane these
could be scattered around precious plants we don't
want our kitties fertilizing. Don't knock it until you've
tried it.

2. Furniture -- Aren't you sick of people selling all
of that ugly lawn furniture made from twigs, or
other types of wood? Isn't it time us rosarians
banded together and created lawn furniture with
beauty, grace and significance? (Caution: may need
cushioning)

AND the number one use:

1. People deterrence -- Think of the possibilities! Booby
traps and the strategic accumulation of old canes in places
you do not want people to go. Or simply to get rid of
people you do not want around: salespeople, girlscouts,
your mother-in-law....

P.S. feel free to add your own enterprising ideas!

Laura

Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

"R & L Porter" writes:
canes. I began to think of silly uses for these
canes. Here is my top ten.............

Well, it's not silly.... but my favorite tipper for playing the
bodhran was made from a pruned, dried, dethorned, and waxed rose
cane... unforutnatly i can't seem to find it right now...

(A Bodhran is a Scot-Irish frame drum... a tipper is the stick you use
to beat the living.... umm play it)

--
be safe.
flip

Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
jammer

On Fri, 09 May 2003 14:51:56 GMT, "R & L Porter"
wrote:

P.S. feel free to add your own enterprising ideas!

Keep the biggest baddest one behind your door to bash intruders with.
Bet they'd rather be shot!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Theo Asir

Bed of Nails for Eastern Swami.

Environmentally conscious blood testing equpment.

Spike strip for nature loving police officer.

Kip Proof Cookie Jar.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Irrational Number

R & L Porter wrote:

3. Cat deterrence -- okay so this one may be tedious,
and I know that cats and rosarians have this
special sort of relationship (as in creepy), but if one
could pick off each thorn from each cane these
could be scattered around precious plants we don't
want our kitties fertilizing. Don't knock it until you've
tried it.

This works wonders! Neighbourhood cats were
coming into the back yard to dig up our herbs
and other plants. With rose canes everywhere
last season, I guess they've learned enough so
that this season, they don't come around anymore!

-- Anita --
No. Calif. Zone 8

Old 14-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Roseman200

Maybe as a gift to my ex -- she always loved my roses and now she can have
them.. Too bad I can fund any poison ivy