Old 15-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Treedude and Breezy

Default A foot or so each day....

Hello all,
I have a 'nameless' rose.I wanna say it's a climbing Don Juan,but thats
just a guess.
Anyways,it is really thriving this year.This is it's 2nd year in the
ground and it has only bloomed two Deep,rich,red blooms so far this
year.It dosent bloom often,in my experience,so far.
This year I pruned it down to about 2 ft.tall and then it really went
crazy and started growing.I have one cane that starts at the base of the
bush and has grown at least 15 ft. (Just this one cane).I know it grows
about a foot each day.It's amazing to watch it grow! Should I clip it
back to a reasonable heighth or just leave it to do it's thing? If let
to go,how large (tall) can the cane get? Is this a sign of having a
healthy bush?

I do have it staked on a trellis b/c of it's size.All the other canes
are about 7-8 ft.
(Would this be considered a climber or a rambler?)

Thanks so much!
Breezy
zone 9~ West Central Florida

Old 15-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Treedude and Breezy

just bumping this post up again

Old 15-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Theo Asir

"Treedude and Breezy" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely rambler. Of the house
eating variety too. Many roses
in hot sunny areas react by growing
wildly while putting out few blooms.

You could try pegging it. My louise odier
has three times as much production
from canes that are horizontaly trained.

DO NOT chop unless it is very inconvenient.
Many roses resent this and won't bloom till they
grow back.

My hybrid teas are just finishing their first cycle
and begining their next one, while my neigbhor,
(that crazy old woman) who hacks her roses down to
3" every year despite my desperate entreaties has
half her roses sulking, 2 dead and not a bud in sight.

It just drives me nuts when people follow the so called
experts w/ no care as to their actual results.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Thanks so much!
Breezy
zone 9~ West Central Florida

Old 16-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Treedude and Breezy

Thanks so much for the reply.

What do you mean by "try pegging it'?
I dont really have a place for it to climb/ramble....just room for it to
go up

It is up against a small wooden slatted fence,but I think it would be
nearly impossible to bend the canes for it to run along it (If thats
what you are talking about).
Will it continue growing straight up?

And moving it isnt really an option.It loves it where it's at.I love the
foliage and it's uniqueness of fast growth (to me).

Can you imagine after I fertilize it.......(who needs Miracle
Grow...lol)

Anything else I should know about Rambling roses? Most of mine are HT.
And I'm like a spounge that soaks up Rose info......

Thanks again!
Breezy
zone-9 West Central Florida

Old 16-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Cass

In article 05e7e2ecff2de8c50bbd8b05adbb7938@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

DO NOT chop unless it is very inconvenient.
Many roses resent this and won't bloom till they
grow back.

My hybrid teas are just finishing their first cycle
and begining their next one, while my neigbhor,
(that crazy old woman) who hacks her roses down to
3" every year despite my desperate entreaties has
half her roses sulking, 2 dead and not a bud in sight.

It just drives me nuts when people follow the so called
experts w/ no care as to their actual results.

My favorite this year was the Lady Banks pruned with the hedge shears
into an oval like a privet hedge.

Old 16-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:

My favorite this year was the Lady Banks pruned with the hedge shears
into an oval like a privet hedge.

You did WHAT to WHAT! This I gotta see ;-).

--
Radika
California

Old 16-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

Radika Kesavan wrote:
Cass wrote:

My favorite this year was the Lady Banks pruned with the hedge shears
into an oval like a privet hedge.

You did WHAT to WHAT! This I gotta see ;-).

Sorry, I meant you saw WHAT done to WHAT! I still gotta see this.

--
Radika
California

Old 16-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Cass

In article , Radika Kesavan
wrote:

Radika Kesavan wrote:
Cass wrote:

My favorite this year was the Lady Banks pruned with the hedge shears
into an oval like a privet hedge.

You did WHAT to WHAT! This I gotta see ;-).

Sorry, I meant you saw WHAT done to WHAT! I still gotta see this.

Hi, Radika! I didn't do it. I saw it, tho. Unbelieveable.
Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Theo Asir

Thanks so much for the reply.

What do you mean by "try pegging it'?
I dont really have a place for it to climb/ramble....just room for it to
go up

Well you could atleast try
winding the canes like so
(Warning terrible asci art ahead)

----

----

----

That way the lateral that
it puts out will cluster on the
horizontal sections.

It is up against a small wooden slatted fence,but I think it would be
nearly impossible to bend the canes for it to run along it (If thats
what you are talking about).
Will it continue growing straight up?

Yes! is you let it. You probably have it
tied up but in the natural world the canes
would droop down to form a mounding shrub like so.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/duchessda.htm

And moving it isnt really an option.It loves it where it's at.I love the
foliage and it's uniqueness of fast growth (to me).

Can you imagine after I fertilize it.......(who needs Miracle
Grow...lol)

Anything else I should know about Rambling roses? Most of mine are HT.
And I'm like a spounge that soaks up Rose info......

First thing figure out if its a once bloomer or
if it repeats. If it gets any where near zero where
you live try to drive the rose into dormancy this
winter by withholding water, fertilizer and trimming
all the leaves. Even if you can do this for only 4 weeks.

When the rose comes back its clock will be reset for the
Spring flush and you have a nice bloom.

other than that stand back and let nature
have it way.

Thanks again!
Breezy
zone-9 West Central Florida

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 16-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Theo Asir

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Radika Kesavan
wrote:

Radika Kesavan wrote:
Cass wrote:

My favorite this year was the Lady Banks pruned with the hedge shears
into an oval like a privet hedge.

You did WHAT to WHAT! This I gotta see ;-).

Sorry, I meant you saw WHAT done to WHAT! I still gotta see this.

Hi, Radika! I didn't do it. I saw it, tho. Unbelieveable.

Was there any bloom?
Bet someone 'expert'
was involved.

The average gardener would
not have a clue where to find
Lady Banks let alone that it is
a rose.

The weird thing is my neigbhor
thinks all roses should behave this way.
She's already buying replacements for
the 2 she butchered.

On a side note last weekend my other neighbhor
used a bleach solution on his wood fence.
This is 5' from where I have a bunch of roses
planted. The area below the fence is is like
nuked. Everything is dying where the solution dripped.

Will it get into the soil and kill my rose?

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City