Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Mike

Default Phonetics

Does anyone know of a website or other reference that offers phonetic
spelling of rose names?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Mike wrote:
Does anyone know of a website or other reference that offers phonetic
spelling of rose names?

Hmmmm ... no, not really. You might find this, on the general subject of
phonetic spelling in English of some interest in deciding whether a
resource like the one you are asking for is even possible:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/van...eet-absurd.htm

--
Radika
California

Old 12-06-2003, 02:56 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

Mike wrote:
Does anyone know of a website or other reference that offers phonetic
spelling of rose names?

Hmmmm ... no, not really. You might find this, on the general subject of
phonetic spelling in English of some interest in deciding whether a
resource like the one you are asking for is even possible:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/van...eet-absurd.htm

heheh.

Isn't this question like the same as doing a search with wildcards?
I don't think HelpMeFind allows wildcards but I'm not positive.
http://www.helpmefind.com

Mike, if you can't find what you need, send me a mail, I have an Excel
file with all the info to be found in the Rose Bible--names, alternate
names, breeders, colors, growth, foliage, etc., and you can search it
like any other Excel file. 16000 roses plus.
remove the x's and q's from this addy:

Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Unique Too

Mike writes:

Does anyone know of a website or other reference that offers phonetic
spelling of rose names?

The Wayside catalog has the phonetic spelling of the French named roses they
sell. (Haven't seen it myself, just read about it.)
If it's the pronounciation your looking for try:
http://membres.lycos.fr/jardinderose...rameset-46.htm If you scroll to
the bottom on the left, you can click and the name of several roses is
pronounced. You'll have to turn your speakers up quite loud.

Julie
Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Mike

On 12 Jun 2003, (Unique Too) wrote:
Mike writes:

Does anyone know of a website or other reference that offers phonetic
spelling of rose names?

The Wayside catalog has the phonetic spelling of the French named roses they
sell. (Haven't seen it myself, just read about it.)
If it's the pronounciation your looking for try:
http://membres.lycos.fr/jardinderose...rameset-46.htm If you scroll to
the bottom on the left, you can click and the name of several roses is
pronounced. You'll have to turn your speakers up quite loud.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for that link - perfect!

Mike

Old 13-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Mike

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Radika Kesavan wrote:

Hmmmm ... no, not really. You might find this, on the general subject of
phonetic spelling in English of some interest in deciding whether a
resource like the one you are asking for is even possible:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/van...eet-absurd.htm

--
Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

Hi Radika,

Amusing link. I particularly enjoyed agonizing over their
hyper-phoneticized subject headings. Argh! English is one big cluster
headache, ain't it? I believe a reference with simplified phonetic
spellings of rose names would still be helpful, though. Julie gave me a
good link to a site with audio clips of rose names - even better!

Thanks,
Mike