Old 15-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Rain and Roses

Well, after the deulge we have received this year, I'm thinking that the
Blue Girls and possibly one of my mystery roses are going to SP'ed next
year. Blue Girls will most likely make room for some english roses and
the mystery rose for Barbra Streisand. No growth is the reason for the
mystery rose to make the SP list and just plain ugly growth, poor
performance and poor disease resistance for the Blue Girls.

Besides that, if I don't SP something, I have no room for any other
roses. *grin* Don't get me wrong, I couldn't SP a nice specimen but
the lack of space tdoes translate as it does for many others that the
roses I do have need to "put out or get out".

So far, I am quite pleased with the Double Delights I put in this year.
They are both doing really well despite the rain though one did
experience some destruction of buds due to all the rain. They are both
blooming again now with no signs of the problems they experienced during
one of our monsoons.

The Granada is also doing marvelously. I am amazed by it. I suspect
that it may have to do with the fact that it is by itself, no other
roses anywhere close, nestled up to the corner of the house where it
gets some protection but also lots of light and air flow.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu