Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain, Rain and more Rain

Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/14 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

I never got my "last cut of the lawn" in

Several good days, but too busy plumbing...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have had heavy rain here on the Isle of Wight for quite a few days and
all I can say is thank goodness for the rain radar site which allowed us to
plan our day and get out.

Mike
adverts to follow

Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

If I can recall, wasn't last winter very wet?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2014 07:43, Saxman wrote:
On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

If I can recall, wasn't last winter very wet?

IIRC February was a record month for rain.

--

Jeff

Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/14 11:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/11/2014 07:43, Saxman wrote:
On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

If I can recall, wasn't last winter very wet?

Not half...

This is what last winter did to our railway line (East Sussex):

Stonegate:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...50be7b6282.gif

Whatlington:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...1c8cfe0298.jpg
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2014 11:44, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/11/14 11:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 04/11/2014 07:43, Saxman wrote:
On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

If I can recall, wasn't last winter very wet?

Not half...

This is what last winter did to our railway line (East Sussex):

Stonegate:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...50be7b6282.gif

Whatlington:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/assets/...1c8cfe0298.jpg

We had just over 60mm of rain in January which was just over the
average, and 94mm which was nearly twice the average in February.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

So, the big question is: have you lifted all your dahlias yet?

We have a bright, sunny day today, though only 8.9*C. Alas, I can't do
much gardening because my back is still too tender. Hoping to get my
tulips in soon.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2014 13:58, Spider wrote:
On 03/11/2014 20:17, David wrote:
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be
looking forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

So, the big question is: have you lifted all your dahlias yet?

We have a bright, sunny day today, though only 8.9*C. Alas, I can't do
much gardening because my back is still too tender. Hoping to get my
tulips in soon.

Not dahlia lifted yet, as of today they were almost all in flower
still, though the next few nights could bring frost as we are
approaching full moon.
I have a load of bulbs due any day and they will have to be planted and
my back is hurting just at the thought.
David @ a; for once; rain free side of Swansea Bay
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2014 20:09, David wrote:
[...]

You're going to have a very busy November, but I hope you don't hurt
your back. We are promised a reasonable Saturday, so I may take that
opportunity to start planting bulbs. Keeping them away from squirrel is
the real difficulty - I can't cover the whole garden in wire mesh:~(.
Good luck with your weather, bulb delivery and dahlia lifting.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2014 22:45, Spider wrote:
[...]

Well a few days later and more torrential rain having fallen we have now
passed 10 inches of rain since the start of October and more forecast.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2014 19:17, David wrote:
[...]

That can't be good for your dahlias, let alone the bulbs you were hoping
to plant:~((. I feel rather bad that we've had a fairly dry, sunny day
today, if a little cool.
Hope things improve for you soon.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message
Or should that be Mud, Mud and more Mud. And to add to the fun we had a
thunderstorm late last night, and heavy showers all day today.
Still in 7 weeks the nights will be getting longer and we will be looking
forwards to Spring. That is if we don't get washed away first.
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

Lots of rain here too. Enough that the bridge is flooded so I can't get
down to the village (again)
It's called the Churchill Road Bridge and us who live up here know very well
if we can get through the water, it has a big dip in the middle) so someone
goes out both sides to put cones and Road closeed signs out. But there's
always one van driver who thinks he can make it and push through the signs.
I had to go the long way round and he was still under there when I glanced
back to see if anyone was so stupid. ;-)
Because I live there, I know the level of water I can risk with my car. If
it's over the kerb, don't even think about it (massive dip under the
bridge)
If I had a Land Rover and a tow rope I could make quite some money from that
bridge when Mr Stupid finds his car stuck in the water. Pull them out for a
tenner instead of calling a garage out. Some years ago some chap had to get
out of his sun roof because the water was so far up his doors he couldn't
open them It looks so innocuous, it isn't.