Old 28-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Sabaa Mundia

Default transplant my rose

Hi everyone,
This year I bought a very beautiful Jackson and Perkenson rose bush, it is
blooming very beautifully. But there is one problem i think i planted it in
a wrong spot and it does not get much sun leading to very less growth and
also very few blooms. I was woundering, could i transfer the plant. and if
so when is a good time to transfer them.
thanking you in advance,
sabaa

Old 28-08-2003, 03:42 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

We had a J&P next to my bedroom window and it didnt do well at all. My room
mate moved it one day without telling me to a sunnier part of the yard, this
was done in mid summer. The plant now blooms more than any other in our
yard, and is lush and green. Granted it gets the sprinklers waterings now
wheras before it had to rely on our hand watering.

But.... I've found in my not so great edperience that when transplanting a
rose bush it really doesnt matter what time of year it is, as long as you
properly maintain it, like water, mulch and sun.

Good Luck. Rose bushes are a lot hardier than some people say they are, or
so I've found.

news

Old 28-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Sabaa
Mundia wrote:
I was woundering, could i transfer the plant. and if
so when is a good time to transfer them.

I've transplanted roses at various times of year. No rose likes being
transplanted, and it will suffer a setback. The size of the setback
depends on whether it's in a growing season (spring, summer, autumn).
It also depends on how well you manage to extract the whole root system.

So, in direct answer to your question, the best time is in winter, right
after pruning.
Old 28-08-2003, 03:32 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:33:26 -0700, "GamePlayer No. 1058"
wrote:

We had a J&P next to my bedroom window and it didnt do well at all. My room
mate moved it one day without telling me to a sunnier part of the yard, this
was done in mid summer. The plant now blooms more than any other in our
yard, and is lush and green. Granted it gets the sprinklers waterings now
wheras before it had to rely on our hand watering.

But.... I've found in my not so great edperience that when transplanting a
rose bush it really doesnt matter what time of year it is, as long as you
properly maintain it, like water, mulch and sun.

I still say that when planting in the middle of summer, it's very much
a case of:

Good Luck.

Unless you live in a mild summer climate, it's absolutely the riskiest
time to replant. So why do it then?

Rose bushes are a lot hardier than some people say they are, or
so I've found.

Well, yes they are. But I remember replanting a very vigorous second
year Cherokee Rose in the middle of a hot summer and it never
recovered. Every other rose that I've transplanted at more temperate
times of the year have done fine (but that's a grand total of, I
think, 3).

I'll be transplanting another couple in a month or so.

So, my suggestion is to wait until the end of Sep. or Oct. before
transplanting. November would be even more ideal, unless you are in an
area where the ground is already frozen.

Of course, I'm eager to get it started, so I'm going to wait until
these 90 degree temps are finished and then I'm going to shovel away.
I never said that I was perfect...

Old 28-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Anne Lurie

Sabaa,

I'm a little confused by your post. You say your rose is "blooming very
beautifully" but you think it's in the "wrong spot" and "does not get much
sun."

We'd be more able to help you if you tell us where you live (because that
affects the best time for transplanting roses) and the name of the rose,
because some roses bloom once in the spring, but don't put out much growth
or more blooms later in the year.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC