Old 04-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Doris

Default The August Garden

This is a visual journal of my garden. Each month I add some of the
highlights. There are pics of Evelyn (2 shots! I just can't get enough
of Evelyn), Fair Bianca, Graham Thomas and the Penthouse in August.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~stevedor/EGarden4.html

And there's a shot near the bottom of the July page of the hideous
fluorescent worst/best orange rose, Summer Sunset.

I've been working on this garden since 1996. The conditions are ideal
for sun lovers and part shade lovers. The soil is decent, but the
property is a bit slanted so there are areas, like the wildflower slope,
that are quite dry, and lower corners that are almost always wet. The
roses are in a bed that's partly over what used to be the septic bed, so
it drains extremely efficiently ... too efficiently, it turns out, for
Evelyn. Fussy hussy. I put her in that area this spring, but I'll have
to move her to a slightly less well draining part of the bed. As with
real estate ... it's all about location, location, location!

Doris

Old 04-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

In article , Doris
wrote:

This is a visual journal of my garden. Each month I add some of the
highlights. There are pics of Evelyn (2 shots! I just can't get enough
of Evelyn), Fair Bianca, Graham Thomas and the Penthouse in August.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~stevedor/EGarden4.html

Doris, your Stargazers are beautiful. Nice shots.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Anne Lurie

Fantastic shots -- everything looks so lush & green! (It seems to be
feast or famine here in North Carolina these days -- of course, all the
rain here doesn't do my front yard much good, as I swear there is not a
level spot anywhere on it!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Doris

Cass wrote:

In article , Doris
wrote:

This is a visual journal of my garden. Each month I add some of the
highlights. There are pics of Evelyn (2 shots! I just can't get enough
of Evelyn), Fair Bianca, Graham Thomas and the Penthouse in August.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~stevedor/EGarden4.html

Doris, your Stargazers are beautiful. Nice shots.

Thanks, Cass! I love my lilies as much as my roses (hope that's not
blasphemy in this group!). The Casablancas (pure white) have an amazing
perfume. When the lilies were going strong, they were wafting into my home
office day and night when the breeze was just right. I wish it could be
like that year round. At the moment there are just a few last Martagons ...
but not enough for wafting in ... and you have to get up close and personal
to get a whiff. Still, it's better than what's to come. Sigh.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Doris

Anne Lurie wrote:

Fantastic shots -- everything looks so lush & green!

Thanks, Anne. But now you know why I didn't show you the highlights of the
lawn. ;-)

(It seems to be
feast or famine here in North Carolina these days -- of course, all the
rain here doesn't do my front yard much good, as I swear there is not a
level spot anywhere on it!)

I can relate. We've even tried to level parts of our yard, but it just ends
up with new lumps, bumps and pits. But at least this house was built in the
days before they scraped away the top soil pre-construction. There's always a
bright side ... and a wet side ... and a dry side ... ;-)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Doris" wrote in message
[...]

Are you planning a garden party this August bank holiday weekend? Harriet United Kingdom 0 18-08-2011 12:16 PM
Garden in August suesacc Gardening 0 17-05-2010 08:01 AM
[IBC] Pine buds growing in August Carol Schroeder Bonsai 0 16-08-2004 03:51 AM
Early August report from the tomato patch Mike Stevenson Edible Gardening 1 09-08-2003 02:32 PM
Away from kitchen garden in August Jake United Kingdom 11 05-08-2003 09:26 AM