Old 05-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Shiva

Default Fragrant Cloud

I have had the opportunity to observe this hybrid tea in the garden of
a friend here in Raleigh over a three-year period. I have not leapt at
the chance to get it because the color--which I cannot adequately
describe-- didn't appeal to me, but after watching it for a while, I
do think I need to have it. Why?

First of all, this rose lives up to its name, and is the most fragrant
ht I have smelled. Second, it has really nice form, for those of us
who like high-centered, classic hybrid tea bloom form--the kind that
opens in a spiral. Third, this rose has very nice substance, good
thick petals that hold up in the vase and in the garden. And, lastly,
this rose has a satisfying vigor in this zone 7b climate, blooming
often. It has made the top of my list for Spring 2004 potted roses.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
It has made the top of my list for Spring 2004 potted roses.

Fragrant Cloud has been an enduring favourite in the Australian climate
too, Shiva. It's one of the few celebrated older HT roses that can
claim this kind of popularity. Others on that list include Mr Lincoln,
Blue Moon, Double Delight etc. Now I come to think of it, all those
roses have excellent fragrance too.

I would place Double Delight ahead of Fragrant Cloud on fragrance, but
it's a bit subjective because they're different kinds of fragrance. As
for the most fragrant I have smelled... hmm, La Passionata comes very
close but Double Delight gets the nod.

In a frost-free climate Fragrant Cloud apparently needs to be watched
for both mildew and black spot, but no big deal there. Roses with
orange tones aren't all that well known for fungus resistance.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Shiva

Daniel Hanna wrote:

Fragrant Cloud has been an enduring favourite in the Australian climate
too, Shiva. It's one of the few celebrated older HT roses that can
claim this kind of popularity. Others on that list include Mr Lincoln,
Blue Moon, Double Delight etc. Now I come to think of it, all those
roses have excellent fragrance too.

Blue Moon, eh? I'll have to check out your web site for photos of that one.
Sounds like one of those lavender/mauves I love.

I would place Double Delight ahead of Fragrant Cloud on fragrance, but
it's a bit subjective because they're different kinds of fragrance.

Bet DD is similar to Granada since they are related, eh? The fragrance I
get from Fragrant Cloud is a "rosy" one as opposed to the citrusy scent
I get from Mr. Lincoln. DD is another rose that does not appear due to
its colors--I don't know why--but being a fan of fragrance I need to
have it.

As
for the most fragrant I have smelled... hmm, La Passionata comes very
close but Double Delight gets the nod.

La P. must be red, no? G I would love to see this one in person.

In a frost-free climate Fragrant Cloud apparently needs to be watched
for both mildew and black spot, but no big deal there. Roses with
orange tones aren't all that well known for fungus resistance.

You know me. Chemical Queen! Although, it has been interesting to watch
what my roses have done since being sprayed for the last time on May 10.
I do not recommend it, but it does tend to separate the "men from the boys,"
in a manner of speaking.

Old 06-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.d91143db5061382e58e931410f4d164d@106 5462607.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:

Blue Moon, eh? I'll have to check out your web site for photos of that
one. Sounds like one of those lavender/mauves I love.

Shiva, you're right about the colour but I have only just bought one.
Photos later this month (promise!). I actually ordered Ernest's Blue
bare rooted, but it was an infant mortality. I have however seen Blue
Moon in the flower - lovely big exhibition style blooms on long single
stems. Big rosy fragrance. To tell the truth, snobbishness was the main
reason I've snubbed it in the past - here in Oz you can find this rose
in any supermarket or corner nursery!

Bet DD is similar to Granada since they are related, eh? The fragrance
I get from Fragrant Cloud is a "rosy" one as opposed to the citrusy
scent I get from Mr. Lincoln. DD is another rose that does not appear
due to its colors--I don't know why--but being a fan of fragrance I
need to have it.

Yes, DD's fragrance is spicy, peppery, citrusy - not unlike Mr Lincoln.
The reason I say it's stronger is probably that sharp edge to the scent.
Granada is a parent of Double Delight but DD is stronger by quite a bit.
I find Granada more floriferous though (early days yet).

La P. must be red, no? G I would love to see this one in person.

La Passionata is seriously the best red I grow, Shiva. It should be
more widely grown. I wonder if you can get it in the US at all.