Old 31-05-2004, 04:05 PM
jtaylor

Default Wanted Purple Climbing Smelly Rose

Looking for a climber. I want Deep color - could be dark red. He wants
them to smell nice. ( to climb up a south east porch - Zone 5 or 6 - Nova
Scotia). Any suggestions for the perfect rose?

Old 31-05-2004, 06:03 PM
countrygirl

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/66695-product.html (william baffin)

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...257Epaul%252Fg
allicas%252Fsultane.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResults%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remo ve_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rdrop.com%2F%7Epaul%2Fgall icas%2Fsultane.html
(Russell's cottage rose)

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...257Epaul%252Fg
allicas%252Fsultane.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResults%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remo ve_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rdrop.com%2F%7Epaul%2Fgall icas%2Fsultane.html
(complicata)

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...257Epaul%252Fg
allicas%252Fsultane.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResults%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remo ve_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rdrop.com%2F%7Epaul%2Fgall icas%2Fsultane.html
(crested sweetheart)

Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 AM
JJ

"jtaylor" wrote:
Looking for a climber. I want Deep color - could be dark red. He wants
them to smell nice. ( to climb up a south east porch - Zone 5 or 6 - Nova
Scotia). Any suggestions for the perfect rose?

Hey JT!

I don't know how cold hardy it is but I am told the Don Juan climber
is very fragrant and it is a deep red color.

I'm a rose newbie so please double check what I say. :-)

Ah Nova Scotia what a beautiful part of the world!

Jay in Vegas...starting to get pretty warm now!

Old 02-06-2004, 12:04 PM
pradvar

How can make a white rose to ablue rose?

Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Shiva

countrygirl wrote:

That photo of La Belle de Sultane is the one
that almost made me plant my first once-bloomer.
It takes my breath away.

Old 15-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Pat and Ash

jtaylor wrote:

Looking for a climber. I want Deep color - could be dark red. He wants
them to smell nice. ( to climb up a south east porch - Zone 5 or 6 - Nova
Scotia). Any suggestions for the perfect rose?

If you're in the Annapolis valley or on the Northumberland Strait and
have a nice mild winter with good snow cover, you could try Don Juan --
it's got a pretty rose, but the scent isn't too strong. It also tends to
get mildewy, which could be a problem if you've got a lot of fog. I've
got a David Austin 'Othello' which is a dark magenta color -- cabbage
rose form -- strong perfume, and although it isn't rated as a climber,
we grew it up over an archway trellis one year. Check in the towns
around: this is a good time to go for a walk or drive to see what roses
are in bloom, and see if someone will tell you what they've got :-D
....pat.

--
Pat and Ash

http://www3.sympatico.ca/patash/