Old 22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
sharoncapps

Default something eating leaves

I seem to have something that is damaging the leaves on my William Baffin
and Topaz Jewel. I don't see any aphids so what else can be stripping the
leaves. They actually look like they are being stripped. Any help will be
appreciated.
Sharon in MN
Zone 4

Old 22-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Forrest

By "stripped" do you mean "skeletonized leaves". If so it might me the
larvae of the Saw Fly , called "rose slugs". Here's a link that talks about
them. http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/cespubs/hyg/html/200111a.html

Old 23-06-2004, 03:19 PM
sharoncapps

Forrest wrote:
By "stripped" do you mean "skeletonized leaves". If so it might me the
larvae of the Saw Fly , called "rose slugs". Here's a link that talks about
them. http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/cespubs/hyg/html/200111a.html

No, I don't meat skeletonized leaves. I mean they are eating the leaves
completely except for the center vein. I did see some spider web on the
foliage so I have been using the hose to spray like I do for aphids. It
seems like it might be helping a little. I will just have to keep doing it
and see what happens. Thanks
Sharon in MN

Old 24-06-2004, 01:04 AM
ben boorman

You could have spider mites, a larvae of some sort of Wasp I understand.
The leaves slowly fade away, but usually don't get "eaten". There
are many bugs that do that, some are good bugs, some are bad. The
leafcutter bee uses the leaves for it's nest and is considered a "good"
bug. Take a look at the various web sites about bugs, do a google or
yahoo search. Also check with your local nursery, always support the
established local folks, they do so much better than the chains.

ben