Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Darren Garrison

Default Good large shrub roses?

I'm looking for roses that get BIG. Shrubs at least 6 feet tall, and taller than that is okay, too.
For use as a border. Any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Charles Perry

Darren Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for roses that get BIG.

Where are you located? Climate makes a big difference. If you
are in the northern part of the US, Rugosas and some of their
Hybrids are suitable for hedges.

Regards

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Darren Garrison

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:35:43 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses Charles Perry wrote:

Darren Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for roses that get BIG.

Where are you located? Climate makes a big difference. If you
are in the northern part of the US, Rugosas and some of their
Hybrids are suitable for hedges.

Zone 7b, the Piedmont reigon of South Carolina bordering Georga. They would be in full sun in clay
soil. Old roses have grown there for decades in the past-- one of the types the previous
generations call "seven sisters" (so who knows what the actual type is). Those roses grew pretty
tall until a few years back a MASSIVE infestation of scale insects took out the roses and a large
shrub. The area has been empty ever since.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote:

Darren Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for roses that get BIG.

Where are you located? Climate makes a big difference. If you
are in the northern part of the US, Rugosas and some of their
Hybrids are suitable for hedges.

Zone 7b, the Piedmont reigon of South Carolina bordering Georga. They
would be in full sun in clay
soil. Old roses have grown there for decades in the past-- one of the
types the previous
generations call "seven sisters" (so who knows what the actual type is).
Those roses grew pretty
tall until a few years back a MASSIVE infestation of scale insects took
out the roses and a large
shrub. The area has been empty ever since.

Check out some of the Noisettes, most of which, like
Madame Alfred Carriere, will grow fairly quickly over
15 feet and bloom throughout the growing season.
MAC has white blooms. A number of Noisettes are
yellow: I grow Reve d'Or as well. Champney's
Pink Cluster is a vigorous pink that makes a nice hedge.
You should look up the Noisette history; there's a
definite South Carolina connection!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 12-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Brian

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:02:10 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

You should look up the Noisette history; there's a
definite South Carolina connection!

Yes, the original crosses that led to the development of the Noisette
class were made by a Charleston rice planter, John Champneys.
--
brian e. rice (ann arbor, mi/zone 5b to 6a)
[reply to: berice at comcast dot net]

Old 14-03-2005, 03:02 AM

Darren Garrison wrote:
I'm looking for roses that get BIG. Shrubs at least 6 feet tall, and

taller than that is okay, too.
For use as a border. Any suggestions?

I am in 8b - 91... East TX. I wanted the same thing around my lot.
Planted several large roses in different areas. My favorite is Mons
Tiller. But it is BIG, 6' x 6' = the rose bloom red & fade to pink.
Always in bloom here. I have a 2 acre lot & wanted a screen of roses. I
also planted a Banks White & just let it make a ramble shrub.

Big roses are my love too. I think I have them all.
Good luck.

neighborlady

Old 30-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Leon Trollski

wrote:

Darren Garrison wrote:

I'm looking for roses that get BIG.

Where are you located? Climate makes a big difference. If you
are in the northern part of the US, Rugosas and some of their
Hybrids are suitable for hedges.

Zone 7b, the Piedmont reigon of South Carolina bordering Georga. They

would be in full sun in clay
soil. Old roses have grown there for decades in the past-- one of the

types the previous
generations call "seven sisters" (so who knows what the actual type is).

Those roses grew pretty
tall until a few years back a MASSIVE infestation of scale insects took

out the roses and a large
shrub. The area has been empty ever since.

Did this happen during a drought?

Many of the Heritage and Old roses have good disease resistance.